Sign in to follow this  
dubman

e30 wont start (that's fresh)

Any help is much appreciated. Today i parked the car for 30 mins tops. The fuel tank was near empty, and the car was parked on a slope (rear end facing down)

I turned the key, the car started for 1sec then died. Tried it again and again, same thing happened. After half a dozen attempts, the car simply turns over but no signs of it starting at all.

Called my dad for a hand, 10litres of fuel was put in, didnt help at all. Then i pushed it to a side street with a hill. A hill start didnt help. Called AA afterwards.

AA man sprayed some engine start into the intake, car started for 1 sec, then died. Then he added another 10 litres of fuel. Car didnt start, only turns over. Then he got a rubber mallet out and started wacking where the gas tank was whilst i turned the key. It didnt start at all.

He said it was a fuel pump issue. Is that the case? if so, i need a replacement one please :P

Any help is much appreciated. Today i parked the car for 30 mins tops. The fuel tank was near empty, and the car was parked on a slope (rear end facing down)

I turned the key, the car started for 1sec then died. Tried it again and again, same thing happened. After half a dozen attempts, the car simply turns over but no signs of it starting at all.

Called my dad for a hand, 10litres of fuel was put in, didnt help at all. Then i pushed it to a side street with a hill. A hill start didnt help. Called AA afterwards.

AA man sprayed some engine start into the intake, car started for 1 sec, then died. Then he added another 10 litres of fuel. Car didnt start, only turns over. Then he got a rubber mallet out and started wacking where the gas tank was whilst i turned the key. It didnt start at all.

He said it was a fuel pump issue. Is that the case? if so, i need a replacement one please :P

AA guy did a poor job. Check that the pump is getting power to it before writing it off as fuel pump. Could quite possibly be fuel pump relay. (Exact same thing, same symptoms etc happened to me in December, AA guy worked out exactly what was wrong and how to fix it haha). Borrow a good one to try out maybe?

^^^^^ Agreed - can't blame the pump without first confirming it is gettiing power & earth.

Pump should initially prime when ign turned on & won't start again until cranking.

Depending on model - pump is either under the car in front of L/H rear wheel or R/H side on top of tank - accessed from inspection plate under the back seat.

If you can't hear it prime - check it is geting power while cranking.

thanks for the info. will check it out this week. mine's a facelift model, so its under the backseats?

Could be either William, you'll need to look.

Got a spare fuel pump relay if you need it mate.

^awesome Max, wouldnt mind it to isolate whether its fuel pump, relay, or power

Tried disconnecting the fuel line (into a bucket) and getting a helper to flick the igniton on. If fuel pisses everywhere its not the pump B)

hmm, yea. i tried to do that on the road side, but couldnt get proper access. thanks for the ideas

Dodgy wiring lol. Earth wasnt connected securely, and had heaps of tape wrapped around it.

post-5113-1299908341.jpg