Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E46 jammy door handles

Our E46 Coupe's door handle's feel a bit tierd, the one on the pasenger side sometimes requires three of four decent pulls before it opens.

Is this a common problem on E46's?

Whats the fix?

Cheers

replace the door handle mech ?

You can adjust the door latch.

Open your door and pull out the big rubber boot below the glass. There should be an allen head screw there which you could adjust if I remember correctly.

Its been i while since i last played with mine so i can't remember exactly - but let me know if you need pics or something.

Cheers

Hi mate

Don't know if this is the same sort of thing. But my E36 had this same problem, got worse and worse until the doors just wouldn't open anymore lol. In a desperate attempt before replacing the door handles, I sprayed some CRC (using the nozzle) into the actual door catch/hook on the side of the door, and up inside the door handle, then open and closed it a few times to make sure the CRC got right in the moving parts. Worked magic, all doors now open as they should ^_^

Hey thanks for your help on this guys, quick update as the handle stopped working on the weekend so I thought I would fix it.. failure of something is a great motivator.

CRC did not work nor did doing anything under than rubber floppy piece of rubber German engineering excellence.

Prepare for useless how to. I actually have no idea what I did but it worked.

There are three star drive bolts that hold the latch in place, slightly above off set there is a small plastic bung, if you pull this out you can get to a 4mm allen key that’s under there. Im not sure of the proper procedure but found loosening that and retightening it in different positions (it seems to pivot) until the handle works properly again has worked a treat, as in its actually as good as new now, such a big improvement and only took a few mins even with a hangover and ultimate stretching out of time to do the job as to avoid helping the wife with vacuuming inside the house.

Tip: I pushed the latch into the closed position whilst adjusting it, when it clicked from the outside I knew I had it fixed.

E46’s really are rubbish, the build quality is a joke, and our E46 is a mint example.

Edited by Apex