Sign in to follow this  
nofxdenk

How To Clean K&N Air Filter

Hi guys,

Was just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to clean a K&N air filter?

I got my E46 with it already installed into the original air box, but have heard that the cleaning kits that you get for those filters can damage Mass Airflow Sensor?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Edited by e46beast

I just clean mine with petrol, I spray it ever so lightly with some sewing machine oil I have.

Its the excess oil that clogs the sensor in the AFM.

I just clean mine with petrol, I spray it ever so lightly with some sewing machine oil I have.

Its the excess oil that clogs the sensor in the AFM.

Hi Apex, thanks for that,

Do you use a brush or something like that or just drain it in petrol, let it drip off and apply oil?

How much oil do you apply?

Thanks.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but you could toss it out and replace it with an OEM dry one for ~$35. Cheaper than having to replace your MAF.

AFAIK it's not the cleaning kits that damage the MAF, it's usually caused by over oiling after cleaning.

Edited by kinetik

Hi Apex, thanks for that,

Do you use a brush or something like that or just drain it in petrol, let it drip off and apply oil?

How much oil do you apply?

Thanks.

I just pour petrol into a pan and soak it, all the sh*t sinks to the bottom and the petrol normally turns dark and dirty.

You only need a small about of oil, its only there to attract dust.

Like you, my car came with a cleanable panel, I wouldn't waist my money on a new one.

Maybe not what you want to hear, but you could toss it out and replace it with an OEM dry one for ~$35. Cheaper than having to replace your MAF.

AFAIK it's not the cleaning kits that damage the MAF, it's usually caused by over oiling after cleaning.

+1 I totaly agree