Sign in to follow this  
5amchris

Info on brakes

Hay guys next step in my build is getting some new brakes [both discs and pads]

E36 328I

Its used just on the road no crazy stuff just wanna know what you guys would be going for?

OEM discs with better Pads that don't make as much dust?

Just normal discs? slotted? drilled?

Anyone got any links to good deals around?

Thanks for the noob help =D

Edited by 5amchris

I like my setup.

Oem pads, brembo slotted rotors in front and, motul brake fluid and some other junk.

Oem pads make a bit of dust.

I'm running slotted (not drilled) Brembos and genuine pads on the front, genuine pads & rotors on the rear

Depends what your requirements are.

Driving in town only?

Driving on the open road often?

or

Driving on a track, hammering at the brakes on ever corner...

Really you have to factor in what is best for your use, otherwise you'll probably just over spend.

I don't see why factory disks and factory pads, or maybe a slightly better reputable aftermarket set of pads wont do, especially on a standard 328i auto if you're just using it on the road daily, at least it will be reliable etc. For the size of the E36 and the power, the stock brakes are more than adequate.

Probably a good idea to get the most out of the brakes is upgrade the lines to higher performance steel braided ones, that should help loose some of the softness.

just because it hasn't been addressed.

Drilled disc's should be avoided if you have a heavy car, drive enthusiastically or if the car will see track work.

These are basically for show, they do little to cool or de-gass the pads.

What does happen however on the track is that cracking can occur between the holes and eventually you can have disc failure.

So while it maybe ok on a light Porsche road car for motorsport applications the majority should be avoided.

My advice for a fast street package would be to stay OEM disc's or reputable motorsport orientated aftermarket brand, & upgrade the pads for a good fast street pad & braided brake lines.

I run slotted aftermarket Zimmerman Disc's, Stoptech steel lines & Axxis deluxe pads. Braking performance is vasty improved over factory plus at least a 50% reduction in brake dust.

DBA do a decent rotor that doesn't cost the earth too

Generally OEM pads do not have the best thermal properties and will fail on anything more than a couple of laps at a track.

Someone on here will be able to advise on what pads work well with your car.

Edited by M5V8

Good products but with shipping and customs charges it maybe an idea to search local first.

Checkout what racebrakes can do on the same items, maybe go DBA for disc's to keep the costs down.

just because it hasn't been addressed.

Drilled disc's should be avoided if you have a heavy car, drive enthusiastically or if the car will see track work.

These are basically for show, they do little to cool or de-gass the pads.

What does happen however on the track is that cracking can occur between the holes and eventually you can have disc failure.

Indeed, I was waiting for someone to bring this up.

Also, most performance cars with 'drilled' discs actually have in fact cast disks with holes in them, by being cast they resist cracking.

Just FYI, I priced up a set of OEM pads and rotors from Jeff Grays and it came to just short of $600. was a few months ago now though.

I priced some Hawk HPS for the 540i from locally and from the states. Was about half the price from the US including shipping!

Of course these are not that heavy, I don't think buying rotors internationally would work out economically viable....