Sign in to follow this  
android

e36

Hi my bmw owners, sorry but have a slight problem with my e36 2.8i. the fuel gauge ,has all of a sudden stopped working, and it now shows empty . i am assuming 1 of the sender units have packed up .Also if i buy a new 1 are they both the same, could i use it to replace either 1 . Any info would be gratefully received . Andy

Its likely that a wire has fallen off the sender...

Remove the sender unit and crimp the wire back on should fix it.

Hi my bmw owners, sorry but have a slight problem with my e36 2.8i. the fuel gauge ,has all of a sudden stopped working, and it now shows empty . i am assuming 1 of the sender units have packed up .Also if i buy a new 1 are they both the same, could i use it to replace either 1 . Any info would be gratefully received . Andy

Edited by curryinahurry

Andy,

No, they are both different - the drivers side incorporates the fuel pump.

Remove the drivers side one & check for a broken wire connection inside - a common problem

Simply resolder it back on.

I had the same problem.

It was the sensor on the fuel pump side.

If you need any help i've got a few photos and i've got the fuel tank out atm if you need any other info

+1 Hot Wire

Common a** problem, almost always on the driver side, just be careful with ya soldering iron...gas powered one might be a little hairy.

many thanks for all of you for the tips, it seems that i may be draining and soldering at the weekend lol Andy

many thanks for all of you for the tips, it seems that i may be draining and soldering at the weekend lol Andy

you dont need to drain ,

just lift the unit out of the way a little solder the wire with an electric soldering iron and you are done