Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 race car - possible options

Hey,

After some negotiating i have a source of funding for a e30 race car. Plan to start it mid way through April (assuming i can get a car together), at the moment i own a 320i manual which goes ok, but for my to be race car i will be looking at a 325il. Just need to know a few things before i make a commitment to it.

First off, How hard is it to strip an e30 of all seats etc?

Is it worth rebuilding the gbox/engine to race specs?

Should you use racing bushes?

How much difference would you notice between a 318 manual and a 325 manual?

For track purposes, would welded diff perform any differently than lsd?

Any other tips?

Motivation for the project will be to compete and have some fun at the taupo even later this year. Will defiantly be shat on by some of the other bmw's but might as well give it a go :) Will be most likely buying a 325i automatic with a bad auto trans etc and convert to manual.

Cheers

Mitchell

Hey mate, have you checked my thread? 'The Interislander one' it has a bit of info in there on what you will expect to need and I was in the same position as you in regards to coverting to manual etc.

I will PM you my number if your around this weekend feel free to pop over and I can answer and show you some of the things you've asked etc.

Am busy in the middle of building up my 3rd E30 for the track and the first 100% track dedicated one, so can answer most questions.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Brams

You already have the perfect car for the E30 Series. The 320 Manual.

A locked diff will see you spin at nearly every corner. Keep it open or buy an LSD.

If you want some real fun have a look at building an E30 series car. Racing on your own at an open day is boring as hell.

Or buy my almost series ready racecar. It's still for sale for the right offer, although I'm considering keeping it so you'd have to act quick!

Lol just when thought I'd heard it all from you :P

How much funding do you have? Is it going to be a riverbank skidded or..?