Sign in to follow this  
nzhaystack

e30 gearbox problem all fixed!

Hey Guys,

Got my e30 all up and running today and drives like a charm!! Would like to thank everyone on here for your help as it has been much appreciated. Something i noticed is a tremendous speed increase, found the 260 needed alot of rpm as you were going into 1 or reverse to stop it from stalling, now with this 240 in the problem has been illiminated lol. Gearbox that i picked up seems to have pretty aweome syncros on it, was going 120 in gear 3 and slammed into 2 and was able to handle it nicely.

Cheers guys once again

Mitchell

120kph in 2nd gear? What ratio diff do you have?

Suspect it's a 4.45 diff. The car was a 320i auto from the factory. I wouldn't have done that though mitch, you will fast track to wrecking this one too!

I highly doubt you can do 120kph with a getrag 240 in 2nd gear and a 4.45 without going over 6250rpm.

Edited by polley

Maybe with a 3.45 it'd be possible.... just.

Maybe with a 3.45 it'd be possible.... just.

Not sure what ratio my diff is, however coming onto motorway i done 120 in gear 3 again and looked at the rpm which was dead on 6000.

That's ringing its nuts! F_ fuel economy? Lol

That's ringing its nuts! F_ fuel economy? Lol

Lawnmower petrol cans are there for a reason haha

Not sure what ratio my diff is, however coming onto motorway i done 120 in gear 3 again and looked at the rpm which was dead on 6000.

120 in 3rd @ 6000 - what the hell numbers did it run up to in 2nd? I feel a new engine coming... & gearbox for that matter:-

4.27 diff at 6000 revs in 3rd gives you 122 kph, drop it to 2nd and it'll drop to 80kph, spells rear wheel lock up and severe spin trouble. :rolleyes:

120 in 3rd @ 6000 - what the hell numbers did it run up to in 2nd? I feel a new engine coming... & gearbox for that matter:-

+1

got a box full of rockers if you need a couple :rolleyes:

try not to undo all your hard work Mitchell

+1

got a box full of rockers if you need a couple :rolleyes:

try not to undo all your hard work Mitchell

Yeah will be taking it easy from now on. I still cant get over this speed increase having seconds thoughts on selling it now.

4.27 diff at 6000 revs in 3rd gives you 122 kph, drop it to 2nd and it'll drop to 80kph, spells rear wheel lock up and severe spin trouble. :rolleyes:

RPM went all the way up even more and back wheels were a bit resistant at first haha.

RPM went all the way up even more and back wheels were a bit resistant at first haha.

Shite... We don't even do this to our cars on the track :unsure:

You are meaning faster acceleration surely? - not top speed:- Will be one or other - can't be both

Shite... We don't even do this to our cars on the track :unsure:

You are meaning faster acceleration surely? - not top speed:- Will be one or other - can't be both

Yeah Faster Acceleration :)

Weld up a 4.45 and put it in. Most fun you will have in that car, guaranteed haha.