Sign in to follow this  
m325i

M tech suspension

I assume i have it, but how do you tell?

Jamex guys and King spring guys bith asked me if i had mtech suspension coz they reckon its different.

Jamex reckon they do springs in 40mm and 60mm. But mtech is already 20mm lower.

So 40mm will be only 20mm lower and 60mm will need new shocks.

You will have it...but

There are different versions of the M-tech springs, I think (from memory) that the way to tell is that they have a coloured stripe on them.

I'm sure you can find the spring rates of the different versions on the net somewhere (sorry I don't know off the top of my head).

Cheers

apparently the only physical difference is the spring itself and the shock, the strut structure itself is the same, therefore you can fit other springs but need to tkae into account the higher spring rate of m-t@k and the lower ride height......

apparently the only physical difference is the spring itself and the shock, the strut structure itself is the same, therefore you can fit other springs but need to tkae into account the higher spring rate of m-t@k and the lower ride height......

Yup, that is exactly right, the strut size is the same for standard and m tech suspension in the E30 325i.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

Mtech suspension was (in terms of pre-facelift) a 20 mm lowered spring with Bilstein shocks.

the mtech suspension would be the stock bilstein sports and mtech springs (there a whole bunch...my old ones had the m stripes on them)

the bilstein sports are decent, work well enough with after market springs

mtech would also have (stiffer) sways as well

no

no sways or not stiffer?i assume(=dangerous)would be save as fives.......

no stiffer, same as stock

ahaa we live and learn thanks gus,i wil stick to fives from now on

Curioulsy then, since the 318is, 323, and 325 have rear sway bars as stock do the models which don't normally have rear sway bars as stock have them added as part of the mtechnik kit???

Man its so confusing.

So since i have mtech shocks, will I still need to get shortened shocks if i wanna go super low kings/60mm jamex?

Would it ruin handling if i put 40mm lowered springs in the rear only?

Edited by m325i

Guest Andrew

Man its so confusing.

So since i have mtech shocks, will I still need to get shortened shocks if i wanna go super low kings/60mm jamex?

Would it ruin handling if i put 40mm lowered springs in the rear only?

you'd have firmer springs in the rear and it would be weerd.. tail happy probably.

No you don't need shorter shocks.

No you don't need shorter shocks.

Sure? Don't need shorter shocks for super low kings because I have mtech?

its not confusing!

the only reason you would "need" shocks is to pass warrants, as the springs may not be captive. however i think the bilstein sports are shorter, as my springs are reasonably low, and are perfectly captive. spring pads can also help with captivity.why dont you buy springs, and see how you go? unless you paying someone to do the work for you?

the rears are easy to do, the fronts a little harder, which is where you bring in the pickle fork.

having different springs in the back isnt always majorly detrimental to handling, i had mtech ones in my old car in the back and jamex 40mm in the front, and it handled fine. however having the 60mm in the front made it a little funny.

The confusion is coming from some people saying i need shortened shocks and others saying i don't?

If i wasnt concerned about warrents id have the Gas Axe out.

I just want it on the tyre, without having to get a Cert or new shocks.

Im gonna get them put in buy a professional.

Edited by m325i

Im goin' ALL IN, Johny Chan styles.

Getting a price for Jamex 60mm and Shortened shocks.

Gonna get it done professionally. Been quoted $250 for fitting. ANyone know a good place to take it to be fitted?

Gonna get it done professionally. Been quoted $250 for fitting. ANyone know a good place to take it to be fitted?

BM Workshop fitted mine, but still needed to get a wheel alignment after that.

thats because the angles of youe tierods on relation to everything else change, basic trigonometry and sh*t.......

Are you supplying the parts?? if not get them fitted at the place thats selling them if at all possible..... otherwise, your normal mechanic... better the guy you know wont rip you off :lol:

Just been told by BMWorkshop that 60mm and shortened shox will make it illegal and handle crap. I cant handle wiether of those scenarios, so maybe its just 40mm springs....

ANyone want to argue with that? Go ahead please

Just been told by BMWorkshop that 60mm and shortened shox will make it illegal and handle crap. I cant handle wiether of those scenarios, so maybe its just 40mm springs....

ANyone want to argue with that? Go ahead please

measure it up........

long as it's above 100mm at lowest structural point adn springs are captive then chur...

west

bah pussies.....60mm is sacked out

40mm quite low, i would estimate mine to be around 45-50 mm and its a badass ride height.....doesnt scrape too much but still less 4x4 than andys

yes you do....its awesome