Sign in to follow this  
Surge

South African Imports

Hey all,

Just picked up a South African 320i (Damaged car auctions at tuners) To my knowledge it's just the wheel hub that needs fixing then should be good - o and the interior is 'custom' (I have a knack at picking up cars like this...) The seats are black and white vinyl - professionally done so I'm sure it will grow on me) however the door cards have been done on the cheap and look nasty so I'll be on the hunt for new ones - Expect to see me hunting for bits in the WTB soon....

That and two curbed 17's that need fixing (score, brand new 215 tyres on all of them)

O yeah, My old written off 318i was parked next to it in the yard :lol:

Now the questions...

Being South African, Are there any additional features that come standard with it?

I'm assuming the large hollow thing behind the seats taking up some of the boot is a long range fuel tank. There's a switch that has (|>---<|) next to the hazards on the centre panel which can be moved from left to right (Something to do with the lights?)

And thats all I can initially find...

Any help on this would be much apprcieated.

Edited by Surge

Yes, the SA cars had long ranges tanks

I believe that >--|--< switch is the stereo speaker balance

every e30 i have been in has >--|--<

Mine and my brothers are both NZ new and have it (his is a 318i)

Edited by m325i

every e30 i have been in has >--|--<

mine doesn't, neither did my old one.

mine neither - my old mans neither.

probably something to do with the OEM stereo selection

mine used to

Heard this before, that S.A. assembled BMW`s all had leather upholstery and a different suspension to match the road conditions,they also had a white reflectors on the front bumpers.

Mine's NZ new and has it, it still works with my aftermarket headunit too :pimp:

Yeah it's a 4 door, also has cruise control - no idea if it works yet as it's hard to drive a car I've yet to start with a broken hub.

Not sure about the suspension, It's certainly higher than I'm used to.... From appearance alone.

Here are some pics...

Posted Image

(On the right)

Posted Image

Phat 17's aye bo'

Posted Image

'Custom' Interior - I've got your pm richx (will get back to you by the end of the week)

Posted Image

Wheel again...

Posted Image

Sorry it's a bit blurry - gives you an idea of ride height.

Posted Image

A sheep among the wolves!

interesting interior..... not too bad, but needs some of the white getting rid of, and sports seats too!!!!!

looks like it has a front lip on there as well....

good score dude, what'd it set you back if you dont mind my asking?

ssorry if im bothering you but i would be really keen on them aye maby if we could do a deal with me giving you my standard ones... and some $ ... if you did want to sell how much roughly would you be looking at .. cheers

Front lip is an Mtech 1, I've got two now (I purchased one for the departed 318i, this one came with it so one for sale)

Yeah definately, Need to lose the white cards.... (white vinyl painted door cards)

Other than that it's pretty good - Gloss black paintjob......... :wub:

Also, Does anyone know what needs to be taken into account in order to get this recertified (it has been deregd) Or have I just brought myself a parts car :rolleyes:

Not bad find....

Would you sell or swap those set of 17' shoes? I gota a set of 16' lightweight enki wheels which would look mint on that car?

Mean.. Got the engine working - charged the battery overnight and away she goes, albeit firing on 3 cylinders, Need to check the dizzy, leads, sparks tommorow.

The broken hub/disc was an easy fix, $150 for a second hand 325i (SA 320i's had beefier 325i struts) strut and it's done.

It's still got a current warrant - pity someone deregistered the car :angry:

Another question:

Under the instrument panel (directly below the temperature gauge) sticking out of the plastic sill that is above the steering coloumn is an illuminated square red light with 'EXH TEMP' on it. As I've never encountered one of these, I have utterly no idea as to what this means? Can anyone help out?

Also note, 14" Basketweaves don't fit over SA 320i front brakes - don't want to put spacers on so may be selling (pm please)

Also, Does anyone know what needs to be taken into account in order to get this recertified (it has been deregd) Or have I just brought myself a parts car :rolleyes:

Badda bing

Cheers Martyyn - Will have a good read over it.

Got any answers to my listed questions people? The red light is killing me.

The light warns you the cat has gotten too hot. If the wire to it gets broken or disconnected the warning light comes on reguardless of the temp.

Google is your answer mate.....Ive found half a dozen sites in less than 30 seconds with the answer to your red light.

Its a temp sensor for your exhaust gases.

What its supposed to mean or do I dont know, but get on the web and check it out.

Yeah I found it was for the exhaust gas temp, but as for the sheer use of it, it's beyond me. That is unless my exhaust gases are cold.... Then I'd be concerned.