Sign in to follow this  
Jamex316

K&N Air Filter

Is a panel type k&n filter any good? Does it improve performance?

pretty much the only mod you can do to a bmw on the intake side that gives a positive result

Got K&N Pan filter in the convertible and you definitely notice a difference, everything from just idling, town driving and acceleration felt better. Best $120 I've spent.

i did a bit of research and i saw that they gained about 6-8hp also gained some TQ with a k&n pod filter unshielded, more then the k&n panel filter. This was done on a m20 in the uk with dyno proof

On the dyno? with the bonnet up per chance? I suspect that the dyno results will show the air flow gain but cannot show the heat soak you would get with the bonnet down on the road. A shielded will always be better than unshielded.

I suggest you get a dyno, then ad a k&n pod, then get another dyno and post up the results to confirm whether there are any gains.

i did a bit of research and i saw that they gained about 6-8hp also gained some TQ with a k&n pod filter unshielded, more then the k&n panel filter. This was done on a m20 in the uk with dyno proof

yeah ofc shield > no shield

but OEM box with K&N panel filter is just lower hp/TQ then pod filter unshielded

also i would be guessing that the bonnet would be up because the bonnet is normally opened for dyno runs

could always go down to super cheap auto buy a K&N pod and try it vs panel K&N then return what ever one you disliked

Anyway personally I'm going to add a pod filter to my m20 because i know that its going to at least be better then the dirty one I've got in there atm and might make a shield up when i get the time. But all to there own do some research i think i found most of the info on e30zone

Anyone know how the 2001 540i V8 reacts to a K&N panel filter?

The same, it is just re-useible is about the only difference. Ooo and you get a sticker.

thanks for that

might just go for a standard filter if there are no tangible performance gains.

If i wanted to change the stock intake to a performance version, can anyone point me in the right direction brand, price, supplier wise?

Car is an '01 540i M-sport.

There are a few. Here is one, however it will more or less do the same thing as your stock one unless you running you engine at high RPM alot.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1352-afe...0i-stage-i.aspx

It will give you a bit more induction noise and help in higher RPM ranges but thats about it.

Same story with intake is you need to make changes out the other end too (Exhaust) to gain any benefits. After this a remap.