Sign in to follow this  
dreadful1

e36 heater problem

Hey,

I've had this problem for a long time now in my e36 but I haven't really bothered to fix it or anything but now since its getting colder its really getting on my nerves...

Well heres the problem:

when I want to turn the heater on, I turn the dials (not the electronic heater panel) to the hottest setting on both of them then I would turn the dial where it has like "windscreen" "footwell" and "face" to direct the air.

I've noticed that the heat comes out of the windscreen mode and the footwell mode but soon as I turn it to the "face" mode all the air suddenly becomes cold even when the dials are set to the hottest setting..

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem or know a fix to it or maybe a reason why it would do that?

Also noticed that the power of the air isn't that strong, I think thats my cabin filter getting clogged as it hasn't been changed since my car was bought new...

Cheers

Yongxi

There's a sideways turning thing next to the dial that determines how much air comes through each separate vent, is it pointing at Blue or Red?

It shoots out cold air either way, Blue or red?

mostly cold air through the centre vents on most bmw's .(stops the drivers from falling asleep)

but you can adjust it to sleightly warm with the dial on the centre vent(only the middle centre one)

but check that the cable is still conected behind the vent etc

Ohhhh I get it now, is there a easy way to check if the cable is still connected?

it also blows cold air out of the right hand driver vent also? meant to do that?

Ohhhh I get it now, is there a easy way to check if the cable is still connected? does it have any resistance or is it floppy.

remove the lower dash cover under the steering wheel you will see a cable going down. so if it moves

it also blows cold air out of the right hand driver vent also? meant to do that? yes