Sign in to follow this  
Jimbothepunk

manual gearbox swap

so im gonna put a m73 motor in something but i want a full manual, got told from someone on here it was 8k ish for bmw gear which got me thinking is there anything stopping me from getting say a tremec 5 speed and making a custom bellhouse to suit the two?

Nothing too OTT which I see stopping you.

But you need driveshaft, shifter linkage, custom clutch/fw setup, custom bellhousing, gearbox. Surely that price alone is starting to get up there?

thanks brent, it will be a bit pricey but i HATE autos the bellhouseing 700 which is not to much more than what i paid for my 302w, the d shafts gonna be custom again no biggie had 1 made for 302w niss navara. i was think new t5 which has no linkages the only problem i have is picking the right clutch. if i go t5 its gonna have to be a coon clutch thats the bit im not sure about

lucas

keep an eye on ebay. Ive seen 2x 6 speed 850csi box's in the last couple of months... one of them was brand new!

check ebay.de and ebay.com

nothing like the 8k you mentioned and bolt straight up to your m73!

nothing like the 8k you mentioned and bolt straight up to your m73!

Once you take into account Gearbox + shipping, Flywheel (factory or custom), clutch, shifter, pedals, master and slave cylinders, crossmember, driveshaft, it starts to get up there very quickly..

As with all things...it's never as cheap as you think until you actually start getting into it.

My conversion for example.

rough rule of thumb.

Take the big ticket items cost and double it = conversion cost all up after customising parts / balancing costs. Unless your extremely lucky and come across a full manual conversion 'kit' with all the bits.