Sign in to follow this  
bimmer boy

E39 broken

Hey guys. So just now I got to my hospital appointment and drove here fine no over heating at all and had no problems then as soon as I parked and turned the car off a huge amount of steam came out from under the bonnet along with all my coolant all over the ground... Anyone have any ideas!? I couldn't be late for my appointment so I locked the car and left it so haven't had a look under the bonnet yet

Did you jump out and see where the steam was coming from, could be a hair line crack in the top/side tank, could be from anywhere, does it still hold any of it's coolant?

plenty ... welcome e39dome

There are several plastic hose's strategically dotted around the vehicle in hard to get at places which just fail.

There is one in the front of the engine, one in the back which goes which is part of the heater core. You will need to get it up on a hoist to take a look.

Mine did this down the south side of the harbour bridge .. was awesome, blowing white steam out the back all the way to caltex fanshaw. I had it towed to BM workshop in botany where they replaced that back plastic 'hose' was about $500 worth of work from memory.

smoke screen feature to get away from the cops man...

hahaha totaly.

Actually my situation is a little different being a different engine :rolleyes: however unfortunitly the m52 still uses hippy plastic for everything too :(

Hey thanks for all the help fellas. Not much I could really do so now I'm just in Newmarket waiting for a towtruck to come take it over to JC BMW. They can deal with insted

Good call, they should find the problem part.

In the ten years we had ours we replaced every coolant system part twice... at-least you are not in Whakaf**ktigamio on a back road with no cell coverage. Been there. Done that. 4 up. unhappy campers.