Sign in to follow this  
Jay 735i

What factory 15 inch steels fit my e32?

Just wondering what other cars have a factory steel option for 5x120, 72.56 hub (not keen on spigot rings, so 74.2 not really what I'm after). In colder climes, the e32 could be fitted with factory 15x7 steels and snow tyres, but likelihood of finding a set over here is not really an option. Offset isn't an issue for what I'm planning, so something like some e36 steels are fine... some 16s on tardme at the moment, but I need 15s....

some e34 520i and 525i came with 15" steel wheels , also if you find any from a e28 or e23 e24 etc , but most have alloys.

also from e38 models will work

why not just get some cheap 15" or 16" alloys there are plenty about.

and quite a few cars coming out of japan have snow tyres on them so plenty of used snow tyres about

Ah cool, that gives me some options, so cheers for that (and no point asking if you have any I assume :-) )

Not actually after snow tyres, just a quick ebay.com search throws up loads of steel wheels for the e32 in the US, but they were used as winter wheels etc. and were available from BMW for that purpose.

I have a plan with the steels, they will be modified and the work I want done isn't really possible with alloys (can be done but is much more expensive and I don't think will look as good).

Well wasn't planning on letting people know of my plans until I'd found out if it's all possible, but yes widened steels... it's not hard to work out though, so may as well fess up... :)

Elite Wheels in Chch can widen steels, from what I understand from searching so far is they can do up to 15 inch diameter. For cert purposes, I'm allowed to add a maximum of 3 inches (plenty of mis-information on the net about widened steels not being legal, they are, there's just a few cert restrictions and they need to be done properly). So plans are 15x9.5 or 15x10 on the rear, 15x8.5 on the front. Tyres to be worked out and confirmed, but big old ballon tyres for that Nascar element... so perhaps 265x50x15s on the rear and appropriate profile 245xXx15 on the front. Need to confirm with Elite they can do the 15s and can band the wheels to get the right offset.

Just fancy doing something a little different to the usual staggered 19s...

iirc theres a company in NZ who can make up a custom set of steel wheels to your specs, I was looking into doing it for the e30 a while back. Can do bigger than 15" (I think) and wasn't very pricey either. Too bad I can't remember what they were called..

Probably Elite, they make custom steel wheels for stock cars and the like... will investigate that option as well, but seeing if it's just easier to have a set of stock steels widened.

Sweet as, interested to see how you get on.

Let me know if you do it in the end, I might still be keen and we could split the cost of shipping from Chch to Auckland

Cool, will keep you informed. Basically, if Elite can do what I want, I'll go through with it :)

So can you get the steel wheels made from scratch? Been keen for 16s for the e28

http://www.thesteelsurgeon.co.nz/whatWeDo.html

These guys are another option

That's who I was talking about !

Matt if you're keen and if Jason's keen +anyone else maybe we could try get them made at a cheaper rate?

Edit: Maybe not actually, since we'll all be wanting different specs. Worth a try though

Edited by sascha

That's who I was talking about !

Matt if you're keen and if Jason's keen +anyone else maybe we could try get them made at a cheaper rate?

Edit: Maybe not actually, since we'll all be wanting different specs. Worth a try though

Yup im dead keen.

Sweet well I've sent him an email asking for a price just for one set of 16x8 or 9 for starters, will report back.

How wide were you wanting?

I'm up for it, don't really care who does them and not using Elite would save me freight.

I got a reply back from Elite, they are able to make up the 15s I want for $300, or $460 (a set) if I need to change the offset. However while thinking about offset, I'm not entirely sure I can get a 10 in wheel in the back, unless I go for a lower offset. I know 9.5 inch 18s or 19s fit in +20, but I think the 15s will foul the trailing arm, whereas larger rims get more clearance... so that means either 16s or lower offset. Anyways, so if the steel surgeon can do them, I'm in.

May not get a discount as we are after different wheel specs, but it's worth asking...

I will have a surplus set of steel 15" rims available sometime soon. I believe they were off an E34. Flick me a PM if you are interested.

Sweet well I've sent him an email asking for a price just for one set of 16x8 or 9 for starters, will report back.

How wide were you wanting?

16x10 or 17x10..

I will have a surplus set of steel 15" rims available sometime soon. I believe they were off an E34. Flick me a PM if you are interested.

Sweet, PM sent!

Anything back from the steel surgeon? Elite have been very good so far and I have some 15s lined up from R90S, so I've got that option all lined up. Still open on options though.

Haven't even got a reply yet!

Will be sending a follow up email shortly.

So for your $300 they are just adding bands to the outer lip? Or are they banding the inside and outside to preserve the same offset?

Haven't even got a reply yet!

Will be sending a follow up email shortly.

So for your $300 they are just adding bands to the outer lip? Or are they banding the inside and outside to preserve the same offset?

$300 is for banding the outer lip, if I want inside and outside to maintain the correct offset, it's another $40 a wheel. I'm after the second option.

Oh ok, thats quite reasonable.

Only thing putting me off is the shipping

Interesting. So $115 a wheel to band both sides?

Might be time for a second set of wheels

Yeah a pretty good price... obviously you need the wheels first, but steels aren't exactly expensive. Freight is a bit of a hassle for Elite, but it's not eye watering, so happy to go with that if the Steel Surgeon doesn't pan out.