Sign in to follow this  
Kiwisfly1

Tinting tail lights

Hey guys i was thinking about tinting my taillights this weekend . Has any1 done this? I heard you could get a spray on tint-in-a-can .but I can't find it anywhere ..? Cheers .

Hey guys i was thinking about tinting my taillights this weekend . Has any1 done this? I heard you could get a spray on tint-in-a-can .but I can't find it anywhere ..? Cheers .

Try a model shop, hobby city in town. Just so your aware, the only legal way is to buy replacement tinted tail-lights with an E marking. But plenty get away with the spray-can job too..

Glass paint from Mitre Ten MEGA! does this V

Edited by _Matt_

Oh right . How much do smoked tail lights cost..?

Check trademe, but they certainly arent anywhere near as cheap as the spray :P

Repco have this stuff, very ileagal and looks silly.

To be honest ild rather take the legal way . Even if it does cost extra. You know what cops are like to 17 year olds . Try pin them down for everything .

To be honest ild rather take the legal way . Even if it does cost extra. You know what cops are like to 17 year olds . Try pin them down for everything .

Well good to see your sensible, personally i think the tinted tails do look rather tacky. Every ricer has them. Better than clears though :).

(Try get an m-tech kit and some less spindly wheels, then it'll look sweet ;))

Edited by huff3r

Cover them in a stocking. Mint as....

when I got pulled over the cop didn't even notice. No mention when getting WOFs either.

^Probably because they don't know what shade they're meant to be.

Don't quote me on this but I believe you can tint your tail lights, provided you don't cover the small reflective square which is part of the rear light. Best bet to check with NZTA, or a LLVA (low-volume cert.) shop.

I've popped into our local shop in JVille a few times. They seem more than happy to talk through ideas etc.

Laurence

when I got pulled over the cop didn't even notice. No mention when getting WOFs either.

Probably because yours look more standard with the red, when the black stands out and looks dodgy.

Probably because yours look more standard with the red, when the black stands out and looks dodgy.

True, you see the dark tints everywhere now. And my car isn't the most common in the world :P I've only seen another 3 or so around Chch streets in the past year. They would have no idea what they are suppose to look like.

This reminds me. I always see it and forget to ask. A lot of new cars have a clear lights on one side and red on the other. like this Posted Image

Why?

^^^^^ Clear is reverse, red is rear fog. Obviously only have one of each.

Personally I reacon they look silly

I tinted my tail lights by mixing in clear with a small bit of black, and then just doing about 5 coats until it got the colour I wanted. It doesn't look as rangi as some of the ones from supercheap can. The wof inspectors didn't even mention them, as they still show as much light as standard

^^^^^ Clear is reverse, red is rear fog. Obviously only have one of each.

Personally I reacon they look silly

I agree. Cheap and tacky looking IMO.

@OP

If you do tint your own, take a step back between each layer you put on as it looks darker from a distance (and on the car) so maybe trial fit in between layers .. Make sure it's dry.

It's kinda tacky IMO.

Red them, that's the best.

Any one got the latest performance car mag? there is a section in there surrounding this issue. I think it said they can be tinted providing it does not affect light levels in normal driving conditions or something like that.

There is a passage in the law that states that applying any type of tint film or spray to a functional light (i.e one thats there for a reason, not decoration) is illegal.

If I get bored enough later I'll find it for the doubters out there.

Edit: Search NZTA "Tinting Lights"

"Tinting

It is illegal to apply any kind of tint film, tint paint or opaque sticker to any lamp which has a function other than decoration (eg non-cosmetic)."

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/get-your...ghts-right.html

Edited by huff3r

I've never had a problem at WoF time, even at VTNZ or during run in's with the police with my red tails

Looks stock, lights still flash orange, no worries...

\/ \/

I used to have stockings on my lights when I was younger and I never had a problem with WOF's or the police. Ive still got my front and side indicators tinted now and i've never had a problem with them either.

so the story went down something like this....

"didn't you see me indicating befor you drove into my car???"

maybe it is illegal for a reason.

my 2 cents

Haha, tinting within reason, not painting it black.

They looked ok maybe 3 years ago when it was rarer to see cars with tinted lights, now every noob in their toyota corolla has had them done!

so the story went down something like this....

"didn't you see me indicating befor you drove into my car???"

maybe it is illegal for a reason.

my 2 cents