Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Long List of Work

Hi

I finally got my car back after I had my engine meltdown about 4 weeks ago.

The meltdown was a knackered big end bearing at the no. 6 cylinder, which in turn damaged and bent the crank.

Basically I limped my car to the BM Workshop and they pulled the engine out and sent it away to have the bottom end sorted out. It seems that for some reason or another I was not getting enough oil to that bearing (may have been blocked channels or somesuch thing).

However I now have the car back and here is the list of work that was done:

1) Rebuilt bottom end

2) Shaved flywheel and balanced crack

3) New gaskets all round (there are a lot of gaskets in and around an M20 engine)

4) New radiator(my one was on its last legs - they actually installed a M50 E36 radiator in instead)

5) New hoses throughout

6) New exhaust bolts (as a matter of course)

7) New uprated clutch kit (my old one was nearly stuffed, so I got them to change it while the old one was out)

8) New cambelt and tensioner (also as a matter of course)

9) new spigot bearing

As I was never involved in the 2.7 build that is in my car (I bought it that way), that was looked at as well as it was in bits, and it is confirmed that it is a good one, and was done well.

I have not had a chance to really drive it yet (apart from the BM Workshop to home...all 5 minutes of it), but have to do a fair bit of driving in the next few days, so hopefully it will be sweet. Also I should not need to see Guido and his team at the BM Workshop in a very long time.

I was going to put a different cam in at the same time, but it will have to wait for another day due to the cost of the above.

The downside of this is that I have now lost the awesome sound my engine was making when under load.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Spargo

How long is the break in period?

New water and oil pums while you were there?

No break in period, as pistons etc were left untouched.

Water pump was not too old anyway(I had it replaced a while back when it was starting to make the telltale 'jingle bells' noise, so it stayed.

No change of oil pump, it is working fine (it was checked).

Cheers

Grant

Guido loves me too.

NOthing like a young professional with a 19 year old 330km car.

What was the damage $?

well if you must know....$4,548

A little more than I had hoped for to be honest, but what can I do, it needed to be fixed, and the car was worthless with a knackered engine.

Now it looks like I have an E30 for life, I will never be able to re-coup a fraction of what I have spent on it, even in the last 12 months.

Cheers

Grant

You've made a real committment to that car now so one can see why you'd want to hold on to it for a while longer.

Does it sound quiet now? What did it sound like???

You've made a real committment to that car now so one can see why you'd want to hold on to it for a while longer.

Does it sound quiet now? What did it sound like???

it still has a little valve train noise, like all E30's, but the rattling (very CSL like) noise under acceleration is gone.

I had thought it was the Catalytic Convertor...but apparently it wasn't.

Cheers

Grant

Yee haa Grant. So you'll be at the drags then!?

Not the most expensive bill I've had, by a long shot. I bet that hurt.

Look ofrward to seeing it on the road again.

haha owned!

feel the e30 burn

i feel somewhat better know.....glad to hear it all good though....we now have 2 andys!

well if you must know....$4,548

A little more than I had hoped for to be honest, but what can I do, it needed to be fixed, and the car was worthless with a knackered engine.

Now it looks like I have an E30 for life, I will never be able to re-coup a fraction of what I have spent on it, even in the last 12 months.

Cheers

Grant

whoa, that seems hella expensive for a partial rebuild!! (pistons left undisturbed)

Edited by CaM

it least your car is back now grant. good to here!

I have spent about $1500 at the moment on my head rebuild and nothing has been done on it yet. But give it two weeks and it will be pawning all.

give it two weeks and it will be pawning all.

wanna test that round puke in august??

Guest Andrew

it least your car is back now grant. good to here!

I have spent about $1500 at the moment on my head rebuild and nothing has been done on it yet. But give it two weeks and it will be pawning all.

so keen to race you after ya rebuild. I'm looking a 2.5 e30 that can beat me hah.

G-unit.. that was DAMN expensive.. my motor cost that to built.

matt, you car is so dam quick. i was thinking about taking my LSD out for an afternoon if i could get a drive of it.

august sounds good at the moment. depending on money and time with assignments.

I have just done 350km's in my car (been in the Waikato for work).

It is running awesome, much better than before (I'm pretty sure it isn't my imagination).

The power delivery is so smooth, far better than before. I'm sure it feels more powerful than before too.

Getting used to a new clutch, and having it bite so much earlier has taken some getting used to.

I've noticed other things to, before when changing down from 5th to 4th to accelerate (i.e. to overtake quickly) used to be a little savage, not it is completely different and the drop down a gear and accelerating is significantly smoother.

The only noise now is a bit of valve-train chatter, and there is no engine rattle at all.

I'm very happy (even though my bank balance is a little less amused.)

Cheers

Grant

lol, dude, the ambient road noise and sh*t like that probably drowns out the engine.......

:thumb: