Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E46 ECU/point of impact in a crash question

was just discussing with a friend today about cars and crashes etc, so my question is

Do 90's/00's E46 BMW s memorise the speed at the point of impact when you crash and store it in their computer/on the dash/obc or anything??

would be good/interesting to know really haha

Cheers,

Andrew

Not to my knowledge

was just discussing with a friend today about cars and crashes etc, so my question is

Do 90's/00's E46 BMW s memorise the speed at the point of impact when you crash and store it in their computer/on the dash/obc or anything??

would be good/interesting to know really haha

Cheers,

Andrew

I suspect you could if you had the appropriate tools etc to do so. A guy here in the Hawkes Bay was recently convicted for dangerous driving, causing injury after he smashed into a merc (old school) with his HSV Holden. it was proven that his speed was in excess of 200kph shortly before the impact. the information was stored in the airbag module. It was a "test case" but i would expect to see more of it happening as the technology allows and as the police don't have the ability the use the old "skid marks measurement" method anymore with most cars having ABS etc.. so they'll be looking at ways to convict persons with there own cars telling them exactly what they need...

In this case the airbag module was seized as evidence from the car...

I heard the General Motor's cars in US do, that mean the Holdens here *MIGHT*.

Even if they don't, the speedo will point at whatever speed just prior to impact if it's severe enough to kill the power instantly.

Hmmm, E46 has an explosive charge on the main power cable at the battery. It pops when the airbags do.

I wonder?....

Yeah its pretty interesting when u think about it all. I didnt know about the airbag/battery thing westy. Thats really interesting!

Well, South African cars do anyway...

I suspect you could if you had the appropriate tools etc to do so. A guy here in the Hawkes Bay was recently convicted for dangerous driving, causing injury after he smashed into a merc (old school) with his HSV Holden. it was proven that his speed was in excess of 200kph shortly before the impact. the information was stored in the airbag module. It was a "test case" but i would expect to see more of it happening as the technology allows and as the police don't have the ability the use the old "skid marks measurement" method anymore with most cars having ABS etc.. so they'll be looking at ways to convict persons with there own cars telling them exactly what they need...

In this case the airbag module was seized as evidence from the car...

Yea aware of that. I'm not sure that E46's do though?? Possibly:-