Sign in to follow this  
RhoanW

Problems with Remote key

I finally collected my car yesterday (2002 530I) and the original owner told me from he got the car the remote button have never worked to lock or unlock the car. He said he got one key (master) from the original owner and bought another from the BMW dealer here in Jamaica. Both keys are master keys with the transponder in them. The original key he got has dead batteries but they both start the car and unlock everything. On the newer key, the light on the key comes on when pressed. The DWA (clown-face) does not respond at all. I tried all of the methods listed to initialize the key and nothing, no responses of doors locking and unlocking. I do get the flashing light on the key but that is it.

I also read about the fuel door actuator problem and although my fuel door actuator doesn't close that snug it seems like it works because with Central locking engaged using the button inside, the fuel door is locked. I however for peace of mind, disconnected the power for the actuator and tried the process all over with the same result; can someone point me to which other spots I can troubleshoot? I should also point out that the person I bought it from told me that he carried it to the BMW dealer and they were unable to get it working either. My keys are the two button remote. I have some questions for anyone with the knowledge:

1. How do you know if your DWA is working?

2. When the light on the key is flashing after you have held the unlock button and pressed lock button 3 times and released, is it trying to comunicate with the DWA or some other system?

Did you do it this way ?

1, using a key unlock the vehicle, get in and close door.

2, put the key into the ignition and turn to position 2, wait for 5 secs and then back to off.

3. remove key

4. point the key toward red "clown nose"

5. hold unlock rectangle button

6. press lock round button 3 times (while still holding the unlock button)

7. release the unlock button

8. At this point, you'll notice the red led on key flashes

9. press the unlock button

10. car will lock and unlock to indicate successful association

11. repeat 4-7 for 2nd key

Heres the link

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=19404

Edited by *Glenn*

Glenn I tried this exact procedure last today. The car locks don't respond and nothing shows on the "clown nose".

Did you do it this way ?

1, using a key unlock the vehicle, get in and close door.

2, put the key into the ignition and turn to position 2, wait for 5 secs and then back to off.

3. remove key

4. point the key toward red "clown nose"

5. hold unlock rectangle button

6. press lock round button 3 times (while still holding the unlock button)

7. release the unlock button

8. At this point, you'll notice the red led on key flashes

9. press the unlock button

10. car will lock and unlock to indicate successful association

11. repeat 4-7 for 2nd key

Heres the link

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=19404

i tried this guys method step by step and it worked fine with my mates e39. i tried twice to get a key working, and stretch your fingers to make sure it doesnt cramp when you hold the buttons :D

Thank you! I will view this and try it. I checked all my fuses today and they are all fine. It is either I'm not folowing the procedure correctly or something is wrong with my DWA.

i tried this guys method step by step and it worked fine with my mates e39. i tried twice to get a key working, and stretch your fingers to make sure it doesnt cramp when you hold the buttons :D

Dubman I watched the last video quite a few times and followed it exactly but I'm not getting the lock and unlock confirmation just my remote light flashes about 10 times and then nothing. I will disconnect my fuel door actuator later and re-try, will post the results.