Sign in to follow this  
qube

Where to go for oil change?

so my 1997 bmw 323i coupe motorsport needs an oil change...

previously with my other cars i either went to AA or to bmw team mcmillan..

but im just wondering if there is a better and or cheaper option that is fairly decent.

aa quoted roughly $89 + $15 for flush +$25 for extra 2.5L of oil.

they use ELF oil

bmw quoted around $400 +gst for a complete oil service.

they use magnatec or something like that

any ideas?

thanks..

EDIT: is bmw the only place i can get those green and red blocks reset cuz mine r on the last 1 or 2 blocks now

*heres a picture of my car just to make this post less boring*

Posted Image

Edited by QUBE

Most places can reset the lights also you could go to "oil changers" just take your own oil

It's pretty easy to do yourself and just pay for the oil & filter.

You can reset the service indicator yourself with nothing but a paperclip

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/diy/e36oilchange/

http://www.bmwe36blog.com/2007/02/24/reset...-service-light/

If you do it yourself, you can choose your own oil. Most places seem to use Castrol Magnatec 10W30 or 10W40 which isn't the correct grade for your car, and I've found it tends to look a lot dirtier after it's depleted.

You have the same car as me and should be using a 5W40 grade oil. Something like Mobil 1 if you can find it or Mobil Super Syn will do fine and you can get it from Super Cheap / Partmaster, though you will need to buy 2x 4L containers. Since the engine takes about 6.9 litres of oil, you can use a litre to rinse through after emptying the old junk and keep the rest in case you need a top up.

For $400 they should be using OEM BMW Oil, changing your transmission fluid & diff oil, give you a loan car and shine your shoes!

Edited by cytamen

If you bump into a good service advisor, it's worth the extra at a dealer. My BMW dealer experience has been good at both Team McMillan and Jerry Clayton.

They can advise you anything that you need to keep an eye on (tyres, brakes, any sensor problem), also they will make sure the right part and oil are going into the car.

Same could not be said for VW unfortunately. They charged me $30 to change a bulb, needless to say I am never going back.