Sign in to follow this  
yng_750

nice bmw race car bites it

seems he stayed off the brakes but wasnt enough to stop the fish tail of a badly balanced trailer

Heh, that happened to my mate while towing his speedway saloon car.

Isn't the best thing to do in this situation is to speed up to try and pull it straight? Or is there not much you can do about it?

Happens more than you would think.

If this starts happening and you have a braked trailer it is better to try and let the trailer brake for you.

If the trailer is unbraked then good luck. Speeding up only works if you have the power to do so and are not already speeding to cause the swaying in the first place.

Always take care to balance your load.

This came up on Garage Journal - makes me glad I've never had a towbar on anything I've driven, it would be my luck to do something this dumb! lol

Consensus there was to make sure you weren't towing too much in the first place, and then to gradually slow down until it stabilises. Trying to accelerate would make it worse apparently...

also the tyre pressure on the trailer is quite important to get right for the load you are carrying

Newer BMW X5's have trailer stability management - I wouldn't be towing such a decent load in a car at speed that's for sure.