Sign in to follow this  
sascha

UK to Auckland

I'm looking at bringing a set of wheels over from the UK, so I thought it's worth asking if anyone is, or knows of someone who is, bringing over a container from there some time soon? Willing to pay a couple hundred or something.

Thought it's worth a shot.

Or if anyone knows of a cheap shipping company.

Cheers

New wheels or used? Could get a little tricky if brand-new in boxes, etc.

And how soon are you looking to being them over?

New, in boxes. Why does that make it tricky?

No rush, the sooner the better but I've gone so long without shiny wheels I'm sure I can last a little longer!

How long are you thinking?

You might be stung with GST if the wheels are new?

New, in boxes. Why does that make it tricky?

There is a limit on "personal items" which can be brought in new, after which there is then GST and a usually a load more questions from customs about what is coming in. I'm guessing the value of the wheels would be over $700? Declaring the wheels as belonging to you, a different "person" also gets tricky in terms of who owns / is responsible for the contents of the container - again more questions and paperwork.

Ahh right that sucks.

They are actually bang on $700 with the current exchange rate.

So you recon it'd be easier to just have them sent over? I might still get them and do that, only problem is that the cheapest shipping I've found is in the $300's from memory, and the wheels aren't THAT special.

I would have thought in the $300's isn't to bad to ship 4 wheels from the UK?

Edit - Also when dealing in International freight cheap isn't always good. I always use either TNT or DHL and have never had an issue.

Edited by braeden.

Yeah I know, I was surprised. Most companies seem to be charging around $500-$600, but spending that much would defeat the purpose of getting the wheels.

Why do you say cheap isn't good? Do things tend to get lost? Or damaged?

Cheers for the input

As they are new it would stop me, or anyone else, getting any other new stuff in the same shipment without having to pay the GST, which obviously adds another 15% on top.

I would suggest you try and get them sent on their own, you should be able to avoid paying the GST (I think - double check) and $300 is a pretty good price for the shipping. Just check the company is able to handle sorting any problems out should things go wrong, who are they actually using to ship the stuff, how big are they, how long in the game, etc. Cheap is fine until it all turns to custard.

Also if you have a friend in the UK who can send them to you, you can avoid paying the GST as long as it's sent as a gift. i have done this a few times when buying from the US or Aus.

if total amount of item exceeds $400 NZD which also includes shipping you will be stung for GST AND customs duty and other stuff..

Oh damn, my friend just got back from there.

Might be worth trying to get someone to send it though, if it saves me the taxes!

So if it's a gift, the value does not matter?

still do. they do still check it if item looks new and over $400 as most items bought overseas are marked as "gift"

if total amount of item exceeds $400 NZD which also includes shipping you will be stung for GST AND customs duty and other stuff..

This.

But it's not always the case, it's a bit hit and miss with customs and paying duty. Sometimes we get stung on stuff that might have only cost $600, other times we'll spend $5000 on car stuff and it will slip through.

You can ask the seller to devalue the items to avoid taxes but you run the risk if things get damaged or go missing.

This.

But it's not always the case, it's a bit hit and miss with customs and paying duty. Sometimes we get stung on stuff that might have only cost $600, other times we'll spend $5000 on car stuff and it will slip through.

You can ask the seller to devalue the items to avoid taxes but you run the risk if things get damaged or go missing.

Yep, I've only been stung when I bought in a set of Bilsteins. Everything else has slipped past customs with no fees.

yeah same my new set of shocks passed through. its like a pick and miss really. if your item comes from a dodgy country or looks expensive it will likely get checked.

still do. they do still check it if item looks new and over $400 as most items bought overseas are marked as "gift"

I don't know the exact customs protocol but i have bought several things from Australia and the US worth several thousand dollars and have not been hit up about GST or taxes...maybe just lucky or lazy customs officers!

Maybe i should try bringing some crack in next time ;)

I'm wondering the same thing about bring in smaller parcels... using Royal Mail to NZ, a 2kg parcel will cost over $50... if it's going to cost $300 to bring in Alloys, I'm looking at using the wrong people methinks!