Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Any e39 540 owners running x5 thrust arm bushes?

Have had mine in since 2009 and they are approx. 30,000kms old. And they need replacing already. I suppose bumpy roads are around the central AKL area and koni suspension don't help things. Any one else had a good run of their x5 thrust arm bushings? Or is it best to just go back to the standard bushes. Cheers.

I have them installed in mine from the P.O I've got another 20,000km to go before they will need replacing.

One thing while I was researching before I bought it was this comment from the m5 boards..

FYI - If you choose to install X5 bushings, be sure to tell your tech to note the orientation of the bushing before removal...the alignment arrows are backwards on X5 bushings.

X5s thrust arm bushings are "pullers" and E39 V8s are "pushers"...meaning the thrust arm bushings are behind the axle on E39 540s and M5s.

For this reason, the X5 bushings should be installed backwards on E39 V8s.

So you might want to check that out when you change them, as I think they come set for x5 setup.

I know the previous owner on mine said that they were on incorrectly when he checked.

As this will reduce the amount of kms you'll get out of them.

Also I'm sure i read somewhere ages ago that the car needs to be weighted before fully torqued, I.e full tank, and a certain weight to simulate 3-4 people in the car?

That's from this thread M5 Board

Ran Konis and stiff springs in my E39 (529) and clocked up 280,000 km of performance motoring on original bushes

Are the V8's that hard on bushes or are you sledging in an auto??

The V8s have a different front suspension set up and run different bushes to the 6es