Sign in to follow this  
bravo

iPhone handsfree kit with fm transmitter

Hi,

need handsfree for the iPhone in the car. I spend a lot of time on the road, and the other day I swapped cars while mine was in for a service with one that had bluetooth handsfree through the factory stereo and I got so much work done making calls on the road that I need to get handsfree for my car.

I have a 2010 Nissan X-Trail, but it has no aux in or bluetooth built in.

Needs:

Excellent call quality over car speakers with no or minimal audio issues for the person I'm calling.

The ability to play music from the iPod app.

A dock/cradle and charging is optional, but a nice extra especially if it means that the handsfree system doesn't require charging as well.

Anyone tried anything out there? There is a Belkin product I tried that had a noticeable echo for the person on the other end, but was fine at my end.

I've looked at the Jabra Cruiser II and the Blueant S3 in the shop, and I understand there are Parrot products out there too. Would prefer not to go hard-wired so I can switch vehicles if I need to.

Cheers.

maybe have a check on some toyota forums or have a look at an oem option.

everything I've ever used has been crap ... belkin ... griffin etc will never buy a fm transmitter again

Yep - FM transmitters are a FAIL . Buy a new head unit with blue tooth and iPOD input.

new headunit mate, oh I wis I could dump the factory unit out of mine while still having the functions I want.

Yeah new head unit not an option. It's a lease. And besides I like the factory look. Aftermarket head units always look like sh*t.

Looking into a hardwired parrot that I can remove when I upgrade.

what about just a simple bluetooth earpiece with mic.

I would use belkin it does everything you need, you have to expect a slight reduction in call quality when using a mobile in a vehicle when its handsfree anyway, weather it's via factory bluetooth or fm transmitter

I've owned the belkin unit and it's pretty crappy. Every time you drive through areas with high reception your feed cuts out and gets replaced by sh*t music.

My personal setup is iPhone 4 + TomTom cradle that charges the phone, has handsfree, bluetooth, built in aux and transmitter.

$150 for the cradle & a $150 head deck will be your best bet.