Sign in to follow this  
justin_cosgrove

Proud new BMW owner

Hi all, I've just signed up.

I've just bought a 1988 320i in realy great condition, I realy love this car. Both my wife and I have been BMW fans for a long time, but untill now we haven't bought one. The 320i has an interior in beautiful condition with the exeption of the drivers seat. The exterior is in brilliant condition apart from the missing lower front skirt, and BMW badge on the bonnet has lost the colour.

This car has all the manuals, tools in the tool kit in the boot lid etc, and only has 160,000ks on the clock. Everything works great bar the central locking but, I'm going to fix that.

I have some questions though, are the BMW badges on Trademe any good? the bonnet ones.

Are the clips that hold the lower front spoiler lip on available new still?

Does anybody have a spoiler lip for the 88 320i they might want to sell me?

Also I need a glove box handle too :rolleyes:

I think I have found a good drivers seat.

The sound of the six cylinder is nice too!

She is destined to stay completely standard and I will even fit an origional caset player if I can find one that works. It's booked in for a service on friday.

Comments are welcome:)

post-15679-1313577549.jpg

post-15679-1313577654.jpg

post-15679-1313577726.jpg

post-15679-1313577791.jpg

post-15679-1313577950.jpg

post-15679-1313578015.jpg

post-15679-1313578111.jpg

Welcome mate,

Looks like a pretty straight e30, nice score. The badges on tradme are fine. Make sure they are the 82mm as some are slightly different. You can buy the clips for the front spoiler from BMW if you have the part number if not use Ray from HellBM or Glenn. Both frequently use this site

Welcome ;-)

Nice straight e30 you've purchased. I'd suggest adding your request for parts to the parts wanted to buy section for a better responce.

Not sure which part of the country you're in but I do know alot of members have removed the ol cassette systems and should be relatively easy to get. Check out the parts for sale area noting the date to the right for the listing. Best of luck

Bruce ^_^

Thanks for the welcome guys. Do the 82mm trademe badges also fit the back?

I will definately add a wanted add for the stuff I need. From what I've been reading the last couple of days, common issues with these cars are the glove box handle, driver's seat, dash board and the front lip spoiler. All the parts I need :rolleyes:

I'm taking it for a 200km drive tomorrow, I've only driven it 1km so far so it will be interesting how it is for economy as I'm used to a 2lt 4g63 galant, a bigger car but about the same weight.

Nice car you have there. Glad you intend to keep it in that condition.

Funny how you have already confirmed some of the main E30 weaknesses.

Still the odd original Alpine radios around. I have had & sold a couple over the yrs

Haven't checked but from memory front & rear badges are different

I have some spare seats etc Im sure will be the same colour if you require

Nice car you have there. Glad you intend to keep it in that condition.

Funny how you have already confirmed some of the main E30 weaknesses.

Still the odd original Alpine radios around. I have had & sold a couple over the yrs

Haven't checked but from memory front & rear badges are different

I have some spare seats etc Im sure will be the same colour if you require

Well it is one of the few cars, actualy only car, apart from a Mercedes I had that I felt was pefect how it was, and only realy needed the small imperfections fixed to stock condition.

It wasn't hard to figure out the weaknesses, every e30 I've looked at over the few days of BMW ownership has shown the same issues. And every time I've asked for a part it's been the only part not there lol.

Will any model BMW rear badge fit? or only an e30? unfortunately while waxing the car I chiped a flake of paint off the badge, and now it's annoying me :mellow:

I'm waiting on a photo of a seat from trademe to see if it's the right colour, so far I haven't heard anything from the guy so if he doesn't send the photo I will get in touch with you for the driver's seat.

I just noticed a nother e30 with the same caset player as mine, so I'm wondering if this sony unit might have been origional equiptment with this car.

I took the car on a long drive today, it ran perfectly all day, passed it's wof with flying colours, and lots of good comments from the mechanics. They gave it a full service, unfortunately they weren't able to reset the service light.

post-15679-1313757603.jpg

you can use a paper clip to reset the service light, someone else who knows who will chime in!

your car is ex japan, it would have had sony gear. mine had a sony power antennae too.

Pin 7 to ground on the reset, but I don't endorse it... although I have done it and it worked fine.

what is the colour of it?

Edited by antil33t

I just noticed a nother e30 with the same caset player as mine, so I'm wondering if this sony unit might have been origional equiptment with this car.

I took the car on a long drive today, it ran perfectly all day, passed it's wof with flying colours, and lots of good comments from the mechanics. They gave it a full service, unfortunately they weren't able to reset the service light.

Don't think it is OEM, not NZ new anyway - they were an Alpine unit with BMW on the face - as below

If your car is ex Japan - it may be the original - has it got NZ FM frequency?

post-1215-1313833818.jpg

your car is ex japan, it would have had sony gear. mine had a sony power antennae too.

Pin 7 to ground on the reset, but I don't endorse it... although I have done it and it worked fine.

what is the colour of it?

Yes it is ex Japan, got the ownership papers today and it says it was first regestered in 88 in Japan, then imported and I'm the 4th nz owner. It has a BMW branded folder with all the origional sales brochures and manuals even sales recipt in japanese so that explains why :lol:

It also has a power antena. Hotwire, it gets NZ stations from the 70s to 80s but not 90s. I seen the BMW branded alpine head unit that you show in a car at the wreckers, that's why I thought the sony in mine wasn't origional.

Yes it is ex Japan, got the ownership papers today and it says it was first regestered in 88 in Japan, then imported and I'm the 4th nz owner. It has a BMW branded folder with all the origional sales brochures and manuals even sales recipt in japanese so that explains why :lol:

It also has a power antena. Hotwire, it gets NZ stations from the 70s to 80s but not 90s. I seen the BMW branded alpine head unit that you show in a car at the wreckers, that's why I thought the sony in mine wasn't origional.

fwiw SONY was original equipment in BMW of that era.my 1990 E34 5 series for example had a sony head unit and cd stacker in the boot.The head unit was branded BMW

have seen various sony headunits in e30 , e34 , e32 etc . also sony speakers , sony slim 20w amps , sony aerials etc

have seen various sony headunits in e30 , e34 , e32 etc . also sony speakers , sony slim 20w amps , sony aerials etc

Hi Brent,

Do you have e30 stereo that went with the premuim ound system of the day.Think it has a handle on it o slide out of dash? will also need an electric antenna if you have one.

Cheers Rob

Hi Brent,

Do you have e30 stereo that went with the premuim ound system of the day.Think it has a handle on it o slide out of dash? will also need an electric antenna if you have one.

Cheers Rob

yes can do a stereo

a supercheap auto power antennae fits... you just need to cut off the plug on your factory antenne. or buy a socket if you can.

beats using a secondhand bent one.