Sign in to follow this  
dubman

e30 coolant leak

discovered a trail of coolant leading from front of the engine. opened the bonnet and i see a little pool of water on the lower engine plastic guard. the coolant seems to be a deposit from the centre of the engine. could it be the water pump leaking? also, i noticed a clicking/ticking sound from the belts near the fan shroud.

all input would be appreciated. Although i've been wanting an excuse to convert to 6 cylinder, i only have repair funds right now :(

Sounds like water pump - can you not see where it is coming from?

Clicking sound possibly from a hose hitting the fan? I have a stethoscope you can borrow if you want listen to the waterpump.

just saw it, after a tipsy mind blast that my old jdm sideskirts mite fit the e30 lolol

will inspect from cold for a good hour or so when the suns up. from the service history, the water pump has never been replaced :/ . 240,000 k's and counting

Clicking sound possibly from a hose hitting the fan? I have a stethoscope you can borrow if you want listen to the waterpump.

hey bro. nah, its not hitting at all. heaps of clearance. will get out my inspection mirror and see where the leaks coming from.

hey bro. nah, its not hitting at all. heaps of clearance. will get out my inspection mirror and see where the leaks coming from.

HAha look at us with our stupidly high tool:knowledge ratio

hah yea, all the pro's just churn out awesome stuff without any questions. upcoming uni break, study my arse, more like e30 time :D

HAha look at us with our stupidly high tool:knowledge ratio

Strong post count :P

If not the pump, it'll be the plastic fitting that feeds the water out of the block under the intake manifold. I have a new one sitting here if you need it, at cost.

cambelt done around ~10,000 km's ago, water pump wasnt replaced under their advisement.

what about the tensioner?

wtf... they didn't advise to replace the waterpump? strange.

The plastic fitting I mentioned should also be done every time the cambelts done, I've seen too many fail now, leading to overheating and headgaskets blowing.

spent the last hour reading up on water pump replacement. seems straight forward. Just to confirm, i dont have to worry about aligning anything up? as i am only touching the water pump

Straight forward job, one out and one in.

once again David, thanks for the help and advice. Guess the clicking noise mite be the bearing's then :mellow: