Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Buying a 323i, advice please.

Hey guys. I'm going to look at an e36, 323i this evening and were hoping you guys could tell me anything to look out for, when checking it out. cheers

Hey guys. I'm going to look at an e36, 323i this evening and were hoping you guys could tell me anything to look out for, when checking it out. cheers

Just the normal stuff really. If it's M52 remember the nikasil issue.

Control arms are using in need of replacement.

Radiator

Hoses underneath the car, see if any are drenched in oil.

Nothing really that unique besides the nikasil components which I think only matters if poor fuel was used in it during early life.

dont think the nikasil is a problem in nz. low sulphur content in our gas compared to in US.

just look out for Radiator (plastic bits)

oil leaks,

shifting problem from cold start.

gearbox goes into all gears

hoses

and all the usual checks. you should get one of those cheap diagnostics on trademe. quite handy getting a on the spot scan for potential cars.

Edited by Docile

jatco jerky auto gerbox on jap imports

why not go for a 328i ???

why not go for a 328i ???

Cheers for that guys!!!

I was quite happy with the 318 as a daily but my mates dad is selling his 97, 323i with low kms (under 100k) and i know he looks after his vehicles, so was just really wanting an idea if there was anything to watch out for with these.

It is a Jap import, Is the Jatco jerk something to steer clear of or is it "one of those things" that some cars have?

if it's a jap import auto, then the jatco jerk will most likely affect the car at some stage in it's life

the better it is looked after, the higher the km's until the jerk kicks in, but it will happen (unless you are real lucky)

manual conversions are quite reasonably priced for these cars though, about half the price of getting the auto box reconditioned (which will just fail again later on anyway)

cooling system is a weak point ... if it hasn't been done already, and you do purchase the car, I'd strongly recommend replacing the thermostat housing (plastic) and the waterpump (plastic impeller)

check the hoses for signs of oil or coolant leakage

suspension bushes would probably be quite worn as well, but not a major cost to replace

I bought a 95' at about 170k. When I sold it at 230k, it still had the same degree of 'jerk' in the shift between 1st&2nd, so it never got worse. This was something I learned to 'drive' around and when it did occur the car was usually (but not) always in a cold state. It never really bothered me too much. I would have been happy to keep it as the overall performance was more than satisfactory, but I bought a classic Holden (with some 'jerks' of its own) Even as a Jap import, I would rate this car well. The next Beemer was going to be an e36 323i, but for the great deal I found on my current. Hope this helps a wee bit.........Oh! and I recommend the 325i Coupe too..ha!

Edited by vanossa

my 323i had the jatco jerk too.... at 70,000k. I heard it depends on how much start/stop traffic the car was used in, in japan (1st-2nd-1st changes).

Ripped the box out and got it converted to manual, best thing you can do to the car if its automagic imo!

In terms of things to look out for, as mentioned worn wishbone bushes and ball joints are very common, as are sagging headlinings and loose door trims. The later cars are much better put together though.