Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Bollocks Vodafone "Offer"

Vodafone is switching me form my FreeTalk plan to a Get200. The FreeTalk plan was discontinued years ago as it wasn't making them much money, but I have resisted switching for 5 years. Now they are forcing me to switch, so I have written them a letter. It probably won't achieve any thing, but I thought you all might like a laugh.

Dear Mr Moore,

I write to you in reply to your letter informing me that my Vodafone Pricing Plan will change on the 27 June. I am currently on a FreeTalk 30 Plan. On the 27 June you will be switching me to a Get 200 plan.

Your letter is extremely well written, and I am sure most people would read it and think “Great! Aren’t Vodafone nice changing my plan to this new one with all these free minutes!” I however take a much dimmer view of your offer.

I have been on the Freetalk Plan sine 1999, back when it was requirement to sign up to fixed term contracts and handsets were subsidised. I chose this plan as it was great value for money at the time and suited my needs.

Back then customers were also promised cheaper rates as time went on, and the cost to provide mobile services decreased due to increased numbers of people embracing the technology. Sadly this never eventuated and my old FreeTalk 30 plan is still the best value for money of all Vodafones’ personal plans. Also sadly, Vodafone no longer subsidises handsets. To add insult to injury, that change happened just a few short months before I would have completed my 36 month contract and qualified for an upgrade! Suffice to say I did not agree with vodafones move to remove fixed term contracts and subsidised handsets.

However, through loyalty and a perception that Vodafone was a trendy, fast-moving company, I stayed with you, and have now been an on-account customer for six years. Before that I had been a prepay customer for a further two years – 8years of continuous support!! Even though everyone else in my family were with Telecom, and have oft coaxed me to switch. In those 8 years I have had 9 handsets, 5 of them purchased without subsidy (read profit in your pocket) due to the change in your policies, and all of them high-end models at the time. I have also had for some of the time, phone insurance through you. My account has always been paid by direct debit, and in fact I have been over charged more times (3 times) than I have been late in paying my bill (0 times). Presumably, all this makes me a valued customer.

Your letter (which as it happens came with a totally crap, and naff-sounding CD by the way, and in my opinion a total WOFTAM) informs me that my new plan is great value as for the same monthly fee of $30 I now get 200 free off-peak minutes, 20 txts, and 10 pxts, and I still get the same calling rates of $0.99 peak and $0.49 off-peak, whereas my old plan only had the free pxts.

I would just like to explain to you why this is not better value to my FreeTalk plan after all (although I surmise you already know as if it was a great profit-maker for you, you wouldn’t be switching me now would you?) Although my FreeTalk plan does not have included minutes or txts, I get up to $30 worth of calls or txts or pxts or data included before I pay any more over my monthly fee (it’s kind of like prepaid, but with a better minute rate, and a minimum monthly spending amount). Under the new plan, I have to pay for every peak call, every extra txt or pxt, and every data transmission ON TOP OF my $30. So, If I make $30 worth of peak calls on my old plan it would cost me $30 – under the new plan I would be facing $60!!! Or, I could spend $30 on txts – on the new plan this would now cost$56 for the month compared with $30 on the old plan. Sure I could get a plan that favours peak calling or txts, but I like the flexibility of changing where I spend my phone bill each month be it on txts, peak calling, data or whatever – your Get200 plan gets me nothing but a migraine.

As you can see I am somewhat disenchanted with this latest “offer” from Vodafone. As a result I will not be accepting this change of circumstances. Prior to the 27 June I intend switching to one of your prepay options to tide me over whilst I investigate the options provided by other service providers. The reason I write is to voice my dissatisfaction with Vodafone and its treatment of its existing customers (new customers get offered all sorts of discounts and incentives whilst the existing customers foot the bill) and to give you a chance to remedy this situation.

I doubt this letter survives the rubbish bin – I sincerely hope I am wrong and that Vodafone faces up to its responsibilities to look after its long-serving and loyal customers such as myself.

Yours Sincerely

Vodafone is switching me form my FreeTalk plan to a Get200. The FreeTalk plan was discontinued years ago as it wasn't making them much money, but I have resisted switching for 5 years. Now they are forcing me to switch, so I have written them a letter. It probably won't achieve any thing, but I thought you all might like a laugh.

Dear Mr Moore,

I write to you in reply to your letter informing me that my Vodafone Pricing Plan will change on the 27 June. I am currently on a FreeTalk 30 Plan. On the 27 June you will be switching me to a Get 200 plan.

Your letter is extremely well written, and I am sure most people would read it and think “Great! Aren’t Vodafone nice changing my plan to this new one with all these free minutes!” I however take a much dimmer view of your offer.

I have been on the Freetalk Plan sine 1999, back when it was requirement to sign up to fixed term contracts and handsets were subsidised. I chose this plan as it was great value for money at the time and suited my needs.

Back then customers were also promised cheaper rates as time went on, and the cost to provide mobile services decreased due to increased numbers of people embracing the technology. Sadly this never eventuated and my old FreeTalk 30 plan is still the best value for money of all Vodafones’ personal plans. Also sadly, Vodafone no longer subsidises handsets. To add insult to injury, that change happened just a few short months before I would have completed my 36 month contract and qualified for an upgrade! Suffice to say I did not agree with vodafones move to remove fixed term contracts and subsidised handsets.

However, through loyalty and a perception that Vodafone was a trendy, fast-moving company, I stayed with you, and have now been an on-account customer for six years. Before that I had been a prepay customer for a further two years – 8years of continuous support!! Even though everyone else in my family were with Telecom, and have oft coaxed me to switch. In those 8 years I have had 9 handsets, 5 of them purchased without subsidy (read profit in your pocket) due to the change in your policies, and all of them high-end models at the time. I have also had for some of the time, phone insurance through you. My account has always been paid by direct debit, and in fact I have been over charged more times (3 times) than I have been late in paying my bill (0 times). Presumably, all this makes me a valued customer.

Your letter (which as it happens came with a totally crap, and naff-sounding CD by the way, and in my opinion a total WOFTAM) informs me that my new plan is great value as for the same monthly fee of $30 I now get 200 free off-peak minutes, 20 txts, and 10 pxts, and I still get the same calling rates of $0.99 peak and $0.49 off-peak, whereas my old plan only had the free pxts.

I would just like to explain to you why this is not better value to my FreeTalk plan after all (although I surmise you already know as if it was a great profit-maker for you, you wouldn’t be switching me now would you?) Although my FreeTalk plan does not have included minutes or txts, I get up to $30 worth of calls or txts or pxts or data included before I pay any more over my monthly fee (it’s kind of like prepaid, but with a better minute rate, and a minimum monthly spending amount). Under the new plan, I have to pay for every peak call, every extra txt or pxt, and every data transmission ON TOP OF my $30. So, If I make $30 worth of peak calls on my old plan it would cost me $30 – under the new plan I would be facing $60!!! Or, I could spend $30 on txts – on the new plan this would now cost$56 for the month compared with $30 on the old plan. Sure I could get a plan that favours peak calling or txts, but I like the flexibility of changing where I spend my phone bill each month be it on txts, peak calling, data or whatever – your Get200 plan gets me nothing but a migraine.

As you can see I am somewhat disenchanted with this latest “offer” from Vodafone. As a result I will not be accepting this change of circumstances. Prior to the 27 June I intend switching to one of your prepay options to tide me over whilst I investigate the options provided by other service providers. The reason I write is to voice my dissatisfaction with Vodafone and its treatment of its existing customers (new customers get offered all sorts of discounts and incentives whilst the existing customers foot the bill) and to give you a chance to remedy this situation.

I doubt this letter survives the rubbish bin – I sincerely hope I am wrong and that Vodafone faces up to its responsibilities to look after its long-serving and loyal customers such as myself.

Yours Sincerely

As far as I concern, they cannot FORCE you to change plan simply they don't offer the plan anymore. They can make you an offer to change, but not forcebly changing you.

I know some Telecom customer still on some 10 year old (or thereabouts) plan, that work similarly to your FreeTalk 30. Needless to say, they can get good value out of those plans than the "modern" plans.

IMO, do not let them change your plan. Don't give up. I am on Voda for 6 years under personal name but they treat me like sh*t (accounts and special offer-wise). Until recently I change to business plans under a company name (2 connections) then they looked at me more seriously (4 free phones, $250 credit x2) .

At the end of the day, it all comes down to $$. Yet, they forgot the people who make the biggest noise often are the ones that spent the least. Not saying those low-spenders are bi*ches or anything like that, but those corporates should hear there voices as a constructive feedback as to review any policy changes.

I will up to the point it starts to cost me - I can get telecom deals through my dad's business as they offer it to friends and family too (he has 17 cell phones on his contract so far). but I didn't want to go to telecom in the past, so never jumped on the deals.

If it starts to cost me fighting vodafone, i'll just switch.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Guest Spargo

Can someone explain to a voadafone customer of 6 years how $10 txt works?

You mean to say that cellphones aren't free to use?

Damn that must suck.

Cheers

Grant

nice post edit

castrate that sh*t expose the bitch

Can someone explain to a voadafone customer of 6 years how $10 txt works?

Telecom doesn't roam as good as vodafone. I've taken my sim card and phone to europe and the US without trouble, and i was able to use the german D2 sim cards in my phone over there. Telecom phones can't be used like that.

Vodafone do have some good deals, like have free weekend txts at the mo

It's 6 one way half a dozen the other with phone companies

Besides, i'd rather share the wealth around, Telecom are screwing you aucklanders enough with land lines and the likes. Down here and in Chch we can use Saturn and Paradise and save megabucks.

$110 for phone, Sky, and 2mbps cable internet a month...what are you paying???

We pay nothing for all of Telecom's services, including the top jetstream package.

We do pay about $60 for sky though.

Oh I lie, one month after a lot of calls to the USA, we had a telecom bill of $3.00

Cheers

Grant

Guest Andrew

Telecom doesn't roam as good as vodafone. I've taken my sim card and phone to europe and the US without trouble, and i was able to use the german D2 sim cards in my phone over there. Telecom phones can't be used like that.

Besides, i'd rather share the wealth around, Telecom are screwing you aucklanders enough with land lines and the likes. Down here and in Chch we can use Saturn and Paradise and save megabucks.

You can get CDMA roaming - just need to ring them.

I find within NZ - Telecom's coverage appears to be better.

Anytime 50 plan on telecom works out pretty nice (cheaper than Anytime 100) and 100 minutes costs the same.

You can get CDMA roaming - just need to ring them.

I find within NZ - Telecom's coverage appears to be better.

Yup, my phone worked fine in the USA, and Tony (who i work with) is in Europe at the moment, and I was talking to him the other day, and his phone works as good as gold there (it is a Telecom one too).

Cheers

Grant

Yes, but my point is can you take your phone over there and use a local sim card to use the local services - as it works out much much cheaper

Grant, i'm talking about normal people pay for accounts that aren't being subsidised by their work!!!

Yes, Telecom does have better coverage around NZ than Vodafone, although there are spots where both suppliers have dead zones meaning when at home sometimes you're better off with one or the other.

Carl you must have a good deal, or are not getting all the extras. We also have our home line, Sky, 2mbps etc. and it costs us about $130-140 before pay-per-view movies.

Oh and you can't force a service provider to continue to provide your old plan. I'm sure there's a clause in the terms & conditions that says they can disconnect your service for any reason with a notice period (probably 30 days).

I've been getting peeved with Telecom that runs my work mobile. Is anyone else getting up to 6-hour delays to receive voicemail messages?

:angry:

I'm not getting full Sky, just the basic Sky package, getting the extra Sky channels adds the extra $20-30

Guest Andrew

I've been getting peeved with Telecom that runs my work mobile. Is anyone else getting up to 6-hour delays to receive voicemail messages?

:angry:

yep - exact same problem - it beeps on the phone ages later after a missed call and when ya listen to the voicemail it says 2 - 6 hours earlier!

nice post edit

thanks

Yes, but my point is can you take your phone over there and use a local sim card to use the local services - as it works out much much cheaper

It costs me same flat rate to ring USA from my cellphone, you sure it doesnt cost more vice versa ?

Usually if you take your phone overseas you get stung with global roaming charges and often they charge you to receive calls as they are all directed via NZ to you wherever you are.

If you buy a local prepaid whenover there, or sign up for a short-term contract it often works out cheaper for you - you can't do that unless you can swap out your sim card, or you buy a local phone.

At least that is my understanding.

theres a special code you get from voda for free to unlock your phone in other countries if your using another countries simcard on your NZ vodafone phone

The phones brough out right now, doesn't have a lock code .. but i beleive the prepaid phones still do tho ... when i got my prepaid phone unlocked many years ago, you had to either pay for the code or to have spent over a certain amount and you get it for free .... i don't know if it is still the same tho .....

or pull the unblock codes off the internet

Yup that is aso a very good way of doing it ... but there is certain phones that you can't get codes for unless you pay for it .. some of the Motorola phones are like that .. expecially the 3G phones ...