Sign in to follow this  
barf

E36 AT -> MT conversion question(s)

hey just after some advice here, the slush box failed so converting my sister's E36 M50B20 with a getrag 260 i had lying around. Megasquirt 2 with 6x Bosch BIP373 IGBT's, flywheel and clutch are taken care of, shouts to rds for the epic clutch hookups!

Q: is there any thrifty solution for the rear transmission mount difference? this getrag 260 is from an E30 M20B25

Q: do any prop shafts 'fit up' to a g260 in an E36? just wondering if I have to get the auto one elongated and balanced.

Can't help you regarding the prop shaft differences.. but I do have one lying around (think it was off an e30 manual, 320i) you could test out and buy if it fitted. I'm in the CBD. PM me.

gearbox will learn over more to the right side , just buy a e36 gearbox it will be much easier

you can use a 316i 318i 318is 318ti 320 323i 325i 328i etc

gearbox will learn over more to the right side , just buy a e36 gearbox it will be much easier

argh

if I could afford to "just buy" a $700 transmission I wouldn't be asking for tips on installing a Getrag 260 into an E36 on Bimmersport forums.... :-\

If you start off using the wrong transmission , your going to have a dam sight more problems and it will probably cost you more to do it.

Its gonna be a pain in the ass. Your transmission is going to be on the wrong angle making it impossible to fill your gearbox with oil while it is in the car unless you fill it through the breather (it leans towards the filler hole). Your shifter is going to be on the wrong angle, and you need to modify or build your cross member (which needs a cert $500). And you possibly need to lengthen your driveshaft if you cant find one that will fit.

Its gonna be a pain in the ass. Your transmission is going to be on the wrong angle making it impossible to fill your gearbox with oil while it is in the car unless you fill it through the breather (it leans towards the filler hole). Your shifter is going to be on the wrong angle, and you need to modify or build your cross member (which needs a cert $500). And you possibly need to lengthen your driveshaft if you cant find one that will fit.

thanks polley! appreciate the concerns raised but these don't seem like major engineering challenges at all.

already aware that cert is required for prop shaft and engine/transmission mount modifications, and if the oil filler hole and shifter are slightly on the piss then well, meh, it's still a better option than fixing a gas guzzling hydraulic transmission. (ok i'm a racist; i hate autos)

so far this isn't costing more than a Megasquirt, clutch and fabrication of a transmission mount. I don't think it's possible to do this any other way without winning lotto - unless someone has an E36 MT they're willing to part with?

thanks polley! appreciate the concerns raised but these don't seem like major engineering challenges at all.

already aware that cert is required for prop shaft and engine/transmission mount modifications, and if the oil filler hole and shifter are slightly on the piss then well, meh, it's still a better option than fixing a gas guzzling hydraulic transmission. (ok i'm a racist; i hate autos)

so far this isn't costing more than a Megasquirt, clutch and fabrication of a transmission mount. I don't think it's possible to do this any other way without winning lotto - unless someone has an E36 MT they're willing to part with?

Well yeah it is not hard to do, I had all the same issues with my E30 M50 swap and using a getrag 240.

hey just after some advice here, the slush box failed so converting my sister's E36 M50B20 with a getrag 260 i had lying around. Megasquirt 2 with 6x Bosch BIP373 IGBT's, flywheel and clutch are taken care of, shouts to rds for the epic clutch hookups!

Q: is there any thrifty solution for the rear transmission mount difference? this getrag 260 is from an E30 M20B25

Q: do any prop shafts 'fit up' to a g260 in an E36? just wondering if I have to get the auto one elongated and balanced.

your m50 starter will not work with the 260 m20 flywheel

your m50 starter will not work with the 260 m20 flywheel

hey Jono, yeah it does actually. just changed the pinion gears over.

and $660+shipping for an E36 Getrag 220? dreams are free i guess.

hey Jono, yeah it does actually. just changed the pinion gears over.

and $660+shipping for an E36 Getrag 220? dreams are free i guess.

the starter..what i meant is that it will not bolt straight in, as is

there is a lot of people on the forum speaking from experience, and best for you to fit like for like,saves a headache

when the 260 is attached, getting the sump off later maybe an issue, check the bell housing doesn't hide any bolts

and the thought of running a gearbox on an angle, not designed for!!

since the auto is stuffed, and you are commited to a trans either way, you have mentioned that the engineering side is no challenge,and you seem convinced on the 260

bang the box in, make up a mount , then measure the length of the drive shaft required

Edited by Jono51