Sign in to follow this  
jody

headlights from usa for an e39 - can it be done ?

hi,

i need a new left front headlight for my 02 540i and in nz so far they cost about $450 (for left and right), theres heaps on ebay in the states and better for $160 nzd (left and right), question is will they work properly here ?

or does someone know where i can buy just the left front headlight here ?

thanks

jody

you will be able to find one local

you cannot use ones from the states as they will be for LHD cars. these have a different beam pattern to RHD cars as to avoid dazzeling oncoming traffic. this will be back to front in NZ and blind oncoming traffic even on dip

edit: i think Jon/JKSouthern Euro has an E39 in the yard from memory

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

you will be able to find one local

you cannot use ones from the states as they will be for LHD cars. these have a different beam pattern to RHD cars as to avoid dazzeling oncoming traffic. this will be back to front in NZ and blind oncoming traffic even on dip

edit: i think Jon/JKSouthern Euro has an E39 in the yard from memory

thanks andy, should have realised that, thanks for the tip for jon

Best of luck as their are a number of different types for the e39. The 02 models I believe can be either halogen or Xenon, clear corned or amber, different indicator bulb set up, large base standard 21watt bulb, small base halogen bulb, Park lights or halo rings, face lift or non lift one so called sealed unit, later type the other not just to name a few of the differences I am aware of.

Their is something you can do with the US light units to make them work but it is a bit hit and miss, I would not advice.. These are a WOF item and help you see at night so Stick with the correct parts and you should'nt have any problems even if it does cost you a few dollars more, piece of mind and all that.

Best of luck as their are a number of different types for the e39. The 02 models I believe can be either halogen or Xenon, clear corned or amber, different indicator bulb set up, large base standard 21watt bulb, small base halogen bulb, Park lights or halo rings, face lift or non lift one so called sealed unit, later type the other not just to name a few of the differences I am aware of.

Their is something you can do with the US light units to make them work but it is a bit hit and miss, I would not advice.. These are a WOF item and help you see at night so Stick with the correct parts and you should'nt have any problems even if it does cost you a few dollars more, piece of mind and all that.

thanks allan, your not wrong by the different units available, mine have the clear indicator bulb, etc, have a contact in the industry who can upgrade my bulbs though have no idea what they are, will take it somewhere and get some advise, the problem is when i bought the car, they said it would be cleaned and both headlights would look brand new however only one does, and after a closer look its because its new and the other one is existing and theres nothing worse to me than a dead looking headlight. not the end of the world though i want it looking right !

Sounds like you will get it sorted BMW are real good at throwing in many variable's in things like this. If you wish you can take the headlights apart and clean the outer covers etc. They do become yellowed with time and general road useage. But you will have some fun in the mean time haha welcome to owning a e39.

Sounds like you will get it sorted BMW are real good at throwing in many variable's in things like this. If you wish you can take the headlights apart and clean the outer covers etc. They do become yellowed with time and general road useage. But you will have some fun in the mean time haha welcome to owning a e39.

yeah i know all about it, i used to have a 99 xj8, need i say more !

You could go on ebay.com.au; a lot of them sell aftermarket lights for RHD bimmers. Or you could ask the US ebay sellers if they have RHD compatible ones.

Have you tried Ray at HellBM our forum sponsor?

The BMW Wrecker here in TGA has a cheap mint set. I was going to buy them for my 530 but I ended up selling it. this was only 2 weeks ago so well worth checking out.

If one is cloudy but in otherwise good condition why not try something like the Maguire's headlight restoration kit? I've never used it but the rest of their products are pretty decent - you should be able to order it over the counter at Repco/Super Cheap Auto:

There are three levels, this is the most intensive one: http://www.meguiars.co.nz/G3000