Sign in to follow this  
F20-91

Clunk Noise from P to R

When I shift the gear selector from P to R the car moves (like a jolt) and makes a clunk noise from underneath.. feels very stiff to shift and when it moves from P to R I feel a definite thud, and can feel a noticeable movement underneath me.. car drives smooth and no other issues with gear shift, the trans has smooth shifting its just when I physically move the lever to select R from P, doesn't do it all the time.. mostly on an incline.

E46 318CI, M43 Engine, GM 4L40 Transmission (step)

i see i finally convinced you to join up :P

put some pictures up in the new members section if you want!

someone with a better idea will help soon

Andy

My mates mitsushitty FTO did this when the trans fluid was low.

Might be worth taking this car to a pro, with the correct gear ect, rather than trying to internet diagnose it.

Jeff Gray have done almost everything on this car and still not quite sure. its getting a fluid/filter/gasket etc service this week or next. This is a no expence spared babied car ha

Broken gear box mount, centre hangar or rear diff mount ??

Rear diff hanger bush has probably gone ... its an e46 thing @ 100-125ks

Rear diff hanger bush has probably gone ... its an e46 thing @ 100-125ks

Is this the same as the rear differential mount 33-17-6-751-808? I have the exact symptoms described by the OP (on my E46 320i).

Edited by master garion

Is this the same as the rear differential mount 33-17-6-751-808? I have the exact symptoms described by the OP (on my E46 320i).

Thats the one. You need to remove the diff to install it and there is a special tool to do it with. Very easy to damage these as they are an oil filled hydraulic bush. Even with the tool the occassional one will leak after instalation

It sounds like it may be the trans park lock lever inside the trans unloading which can be a normal noise if the car is placed into park before lifting the hand brake.Next time you park on a incline try pulling the hand brake firmly then removing your foot from the brake allowing the vehicals weight to go onto the hand brake then move the shifter into park.

hanger bushing has just been replaced not even a month ago and problem was before that i think. yep suggested the weight transfer onto handbrake before shifting into park, i suspect its that pin too

Yeah just replaced the rear Diff Bushing which took a very long time, was a pain to get the old one out (had to use a hammer).

Today I had a look at a few E46s at car yards and they all make this noise to some extent, some quieter and less prominent than others..

sorry to revive this one but my rear diff mount is starting to split. Seeing as the diff needs to come out, is it wise to replace the front diff mounts and the axle carrier mounts at the same time? And how many workshop hours to do this job? Cheers.