Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

New M5 Review

Wow. If the next-gen M3 goes back to a 6cyl - then it might have to be an M5 for me....

No if, will be a 420bhp straight six turb'd.

No if, will be a 420bhp straight six turb'd.

Yet the latest F80 M3 mule video'ed this week (search google) was a turbo'ed V6 - so still up in the air....pretty sure the V8 is gone. Sad sad sad.

V8 is gone, no doubt about that, V6 will never exsist in a BMW.

V8 is gone, no doubt about that, V6 will never exsist in a BMW.

It already does. The latest F80 prototype videos are sporting a V6.

Some said BMW M would never go turbo - but here we are ....using *never* is just so dangerous these days...

Never heard of the F80? I could put a small wager on the fact the next M3 won't be a V6.

Was goona scan the article but the mag has disappeared, big spread on the F30 M3.

Edited by Greg.

Never heard of the F80? I could put a small wager on the fact the next M3 won't be a V6.

Was goona scan the article but the mag has disappeared, big spread on the F30 M3.

F80 is the new tag apparently...

Considering the M3 V8 was a cut down M5 V10....this looks mighty interesting...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582941

Your're welcome.

F80 is the new tag apparently...

Considering the M3 V8 was a cut down M5 V10....this looks mighty interesting...

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=582941

Your're welcome.

Ha i can't get over the hype and bull that goes on with these things, if indeed called an F80 then they certainly got through the F series stupidly fast no?

The magazine is somewhere on a very small island in Fiji so can't scan it at the moment, was a good write up on it, word going round that it will be called an M4 as BMW is turning the 3 series into a 4, doubt that too.

Ha i can't get over the hype and bull that goes on with these things, if indeed called an F80 then they certainly got through the F series stupidly fast no?

The magazine is somewhere on a very small island in Fiji so can't scan it at the moment, was a good write up on it, word going round that it will be called an M4 as BMW is turning the 3 series into a 4, doubt that too.

Yeah, I have to agree on the f series speed. I'm hoping they go V6 because the V config is much better for reducing lag in turbo setups on these modern engines. The new M5 has no lag at all apparently, not like the laggy I6 in the 1M. So BMW will hopefully bring the R&D from the M5 V8 into a V6 in the M3. Here's hoping!

I have to eat my own words!

BMW's new 450BHP twin-turbo V6 M3 will hit showrooms much earlier than expected.

Because of BMW's plan to use the a new M4 nameplate for the performance versions of the coupe and convertible.

Spy photos look much the same as the previuos.

The M3 or now M4 is dead to me if they do use this platform. Straight six has more torque and to me a better noise than the V6 varient.

In other news, BMW's M performance division will turn its hand to tuning a new tripple turbocharged V8 diesel for the 5 series. The model is tipped to be called 550dxM.

I have to eat my own words!

BMW's new 450BHP twin-turbo V6 M3 will hit showrooms much earlier than expected.

Can't help but think it will lose its "soul".

It might as well be an audi.

Obviously extremely capable and incredibly good all round but... Boring.

Can't say I'm a fan of a V6 in a BMW. There are very very few good sounding V6s. Mitsubishi FTO (just), Honda NSX, and now I'm clutching at straws.

As for the new M5. I want one, obviously. I just wish they wouldn't make it quite as porky.

Can't say I'm a fan of a V6 in a BMW. There are very very few good sounding V6s. Mitsubishi FTO (just), Honda NSX, and now I'm clutching at straws.

As for the new M5. I want one, obviously. I just wish they wouldn't make it quite as porky.

Go for a spin in the R35 Nissan GTR and you will be an instant [performance] V6TT convert.

Done badly (Commerdoor, any Mitsubishi) they are shite. Done well (GTR, NSX) they are wild.

A BMW performance V6 based on the design of the M5 V8TT (which it looks like they have patented) would be outstanding - no doubt.

I'm sure it'll still go nuts as it has to if it's sporting the M3 or M4 badge on the back, when it comes to working on V6 engines which is what i'll be doing, not such fun. Yes they wwill break. :lol:

What I can't understand is why in the UK it costs 73,000 Pounds = $NZ 146,000 and when I asked at the dealership last week, they stated $230,000 It will be cheaper to import a new one than buy one local which is stupid

What I can't understand is why in the UK it costs 73,000 Pounds = $NZ 146,000 and when I asked at the dealership last week, they stated $230,000 It will be cheaper to import a new one than buy one local which is stupid

Can you find anything in nz that isnt marked up like that.? We bought a 3d plastics printer in last week and paid nz company over 2400,they had it sent in from usa direct to us and customs thinking we were the importers not the nz dealer wanted us to pay gst on its 900 purchase cost, nice markup there

Maybe theyre offsetting the new parts theyd have to stock,the new training for the service dept etc,maybe new computer testing equip,it must cost nz bmw a fee to bring in a model and be responsible for its maintainence and repairs,

Maybe theyre offsetting the new parts theyd have to stock,the new training for the service dept etc,maybe new computer testing equip,it must cost nz bmw a fee to bring in a model and be responsible for its maintainence and repairs,

My in-law works for a Toyota dealership and the individual dealership makes its money primarily from the service depot. New car sales brings in the customers but it is the service department that gets the repeat business servicing them. Audi dealership service department charges $110 per hour plus at least 50 to 100% margin on parts.

On the other side, UK dealerships selling at 73,000 pounds will also be making a margin of profit on the sale at that price. If they made say 15% profit, this would mean the buy in price for an M5 would be 62k or $NZ 124k. UK prices have the VAT incl = NZ GST. Only other difference is the freight to NZ of say $5k. Bottom line is that they are protecting the brand image by keeping the retail price high which means they keep the S/Hand dealership prices high too.

Thank goodness we are allowed to parallel import into NZ to keep the dealerships honest.

Can't help but think it will lose its "soul".

It might as well be an audi.

Obviously extremely capable and incredibly good all round but... Boring.

When has the M division brought out a boring car?

Alittle beaten with the ugly stick....thanks Mr Bangle, ....but never boring.

If it has the M badge on it, I'm sure it will have it's own special something manic to make you sweat in your socks.

Bring on the V6 I say.

Edited by M5V8

Go for a spin in the R35 Nissan GTR and you will be an instant [performance] V6TT convert.

Done badly (Commerdoor, any Mitsubishi) they are shite. Done well (GTR, NSX) they are wild.

A BMW performance V6 based on the design of the M5 V8TT (which it looks like they have patented) would be outstanding - no doubt.

Don't get me wrong, I can easily see the merits of a V6 in a performance application. I just prefer the sound and packaging of a classic straight 6, especially if it is in a M BMW. Knowing BMW, they will make it work. Hopefully they don't 'engineer' the sound to come through the speakers ala. F10 M5

Though if you do end up getting the new M with a V6, feel free to take me for a spin :P

Finally, the Germans have seen sense and followed the Italians :D...

Don't believe that a V6 has no soul!... There's noting like the howl of an angry Italian V6 to make you smile... they're addictive!

Now you just have to convince BM to take away the twin hairdryer set-up and it'll be a real car!

... As the old saying goes... "Designed by computers... built by robots... driven by Italians!"

If they go all "Alfa" i'll resign all BMW from my life.