Sign in to follow this  
MLM

Rust repair

I have just failed a warrent because of 2 small rust spots in the bonnet beside the rear rollers brackets (e30)

Ive had a look and its reasonably minor with a rust hole through the metal skin yet the underlying plate which the bracket bolts is solid.

I have welding equipment and ability but am not a "professional repairer". My plan is to cut the damaged area out and insert a suitable patch profied to shape.

Will this be accepable from an inspector point of view or does the repair need to be done by a person with appropriate qualifications?

My reason for a DIY fix is to save money as a new bonnet would, painted and fitted etc not be worth it.

Help me out guys Can i DIY it?

If its not structural I dont think it matters who does it?

If it does matter, you could just throw on a good bonnet go get a warrant then throw your old one back on and fix it your self.

take photos of the processes, i.e photo of rust cut out, photo of it being treated, photos of new panel welded etc..

thats what the panel beater did when i had my firewall and pillar base welded and treated for rust. WoF inspectors told me not to paint the repaired bit, but photos provided enough evidence it wasnt just bog

Edited by dubman

If it does matter, you could just throw on a good bonnet go get a warrant then throw your old one back on and fix it your self.

Spare bonnet will be my out if i cant repair it for sure

take photos of the processes, i.e photo of rust cut out, photo of it being treated, photos of new panel welded etc..

thats what the panel beater did when i had my firewall and pillar base welded and treated for rust. WoF inspectors told me not to paint the repaired bit, but photos provided enough evidence it wasnt just bog

Good point, photos would be good evidence of the repair.

Now have a WOF again. I cut treated and welded the offending areas up with photos along the way. Inserted plates are barely noticable. WOF guy was happy and said it was a good repair without the need to see the photos.

Back to E30 motoring again :D