Sign in to follow this  
M3_Power

Mike Eady's M3 Race car (Wing Story : P)

So a little while back I was approached by Mike Eady to find him a genuine M3 GT4 GT wing for his M3 racecar - I managed to track one down for him but the asking price was borderline ridiculous. So a replica was found in Germany and again that was not much better.

Instead, we got our hands on a genuine WTCC wing and took that apart (which is what the GT4 wing is based on) and we commissioned a local fabricator to make a copy of the GT4 wing.

Here's the result and original post:

Was recently approached by Tom(M3_Power) to replicate a WTCC BMW Motorsport spoiler, the spoiler will be used on Mike Eady's E92 BMW race car. Tom bought over a genuine BMW Motorsport spoiler off an existing race car, and I starting tracing templates of the upright and mounts. The one thing that had me thinking was the construction of the spoiler internally, it was made of aluminium, very light and very rigid. The only piece of information I had was that it had a aluminium tube running across the spoiler element. So here are some crappy cell phone pics of the construction of the spoilerPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageFinished product ready for prime and paintPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

The car that the wing is going on:

Posted Image

What it should look like : )

Posted Image

Edited by M3_Power

Guest Ari Gold

Very nice work Tom, now I know why Pete was asking me to price the WTCC wing up.

Can currently see this car from my desk :D

hi, what was the cost difference between the two .

What did that cost to get made up ?

PS. And, it still has the air cond in it!

Edited by Beeker2

Foam filling is usually used to increase the structural rigidity of the spoiler, which reduces the flex and vibration. By "filling" the internal space it makes it stiffer as it sets solid, and also acts as a glue to bond everything together.

Not sure how many spoilers you are looking to make Tom, but if you want to look at a pressure injected polyurethane system rather than the gorilla glue you can give me a pm, it's what we do at work.

Very nice work Tom, now I know why Pete was asking me to price the WTCC wing up.

Can currently see this car from my desk :D

:D

Love the view from your Desk!!

Who's white motorsport next to it??

Not sure ... got sent the photo - I believe it was from a BMW training day in Taupo.

hi, what was the cost difference between the two .

sh*t loads ... haha ...

What did that cost to get made up ?

PS. And, it still has the air cond in it!

BEE18C is quoting about $800 to have it made.

What are the expansion foam needed for?

As per below - and most likely how the WTCC wing was made. the newer version wings are now carbon fibre and LOT more expensive.

Foam filling is usually used to increase the structural rigidity of the spoiler, which reduces the flex and vibration. By "filling" the internal space it makes it stiffer as it sets solid, and also acts as a glue to bond everything together.

Not sure how many spoilers you are looking to make Tom, but if you want to look at a pressure injected polyurethane system rather than the gorilla glue you can give me a pm, it's what we do at work.

Thanks Jon will keep this in mind - Do you have a size limitation on what you can replicate? We are thinking about building a mould for the GTS front splitter off Mike's car - would this be at all possible?

There is actually a second wing being made right now but if we could lighten it even more it would be most beneficial - can you PM me more information on the PU system that you do at work (or a website to your company?)

Cheers!!

Edited by M3_Power