Sign in to follow this  
thorburn

m52 tu thermostat problem

Fixing up an e46 323i. It wasn't coming up to temperature while highway cruising and has been getting some shocking fuel economy.

I pulled the thermostat and have found this Posted Image

Now i'm trying to find the broken pieces. I've so far pulled the radiator and given it a proper flush out. Couldn't find it in there

I'm about to drain the block and pull the waterpump.

Are these little pieces anything to be overly concerned about?

You may or may not find them. If you can't..make sure you use a new water pump with a metal or composit impellor. We only use the genuine BMW composit type.

That system also has maped cooling which will effect your economy. You will find it has a fault code. Clear the code and clear adaptions

Edited by *Glenn*

Cheers Glenn.

Pulled and drained with no luck.

The current waterpump is the black plastic/composite type. From your experience do you think these also have the same problems as the older variety of plastic?

Here is a link with more info. http://jackassofalltrades.com/water-pump.html

I'll have to sort out a scan. Anyone in Hamilton have the equipment to do it today or over the weekend?

Otherwise i'll do it at tec on monday

Cheers Glenn.

Pulled and drained with no luck.

The current waterpump is the black plastic/composite type. From your experience do you think these also have the same problems as the older variety of plastic?

Here is a link with more info. http://jackassofalltrades.com/water-pump.html

I'll have to sort out a scan. Anyone in Hamilton have the equipment to do it today or over the weekend?

Otherwise i'll do it at tec on monday

We have had no problems with the composit pumps. We will only use the genuine ones from BMW. The error code for maped cooling should be present with the broken thermostat. If it isn't, still clear adaptions and make sure there are no other fault codes that could effect fuel economy. Some of the engine faults do not trip the engine check light.