Sign in to follow this  
kerry

boat's

hey all im in the market for a good fishing boat, something like a 14 foot sea nymph or the likes ive been told that i should try and find something with 60hp+ in yamaha but it doesnt seem there is much out there im new to the game so if there is any recommendations on whats best etc please feel free to help me out...

cheers kerry

how much do you want to spend and for a first boat buy alloy they take the knocks a little better.

5k is tops at the moment, i was looking at alloy but they look rather uncomfortable. cheers

I was going to do the same thing if you have a friend with a small boat go out with them for the day and see if you like it I did and it kind of satisfied the curiosity and didn't justify owning one.

That was a 14 foot Fyran alloy boat he unloaded and loaded on his own easy boat for 1 person bit small and bouncy uncomfy bloody thing, noisy little 50hp which is the minimum you want to go really I liked the buccaner elite that went before us but considerably out of my budget. like everything you get what you pay for etc and two happiest days with owning a boat are the day you buy and the day you sell lol, your call though try before you buy and if you can spend more do so as they hold their value quite well.

yea ive been out with a few mates on there little 13-14ft sea nymphs and they seem like good little boats so ive got the bug now and would much rather have my own than have to wait for a offer to go for a fish, plus i want to take the kids out on the river with a ski bisket etc...only thing im contemplating is what engine to get with it, i dont no what outboards are better than others.

You might find the cost of a good one a bit eye watering, a mate has had one since new ('84ish?), a couple of years ago a boat dealer told him it was worth about $17k.........

It's mint with a 90 Yamaha (I think) on the back. Lake use only.

Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki = All fine

Mercury I wouldn't buy, but they are probably fine

I'd stay away from johnsons/evinrudes personally

Possibly out of your price range, but four strokes are far far superior as you probably already know.

thanks for that alot of them seem to have evinrudes or johnsons on them :angry:

hey all im in the market for a good fishing boat, something like a 14 foot sea nymph or the likes ive been told that i should try and find something with 60hp+ in yamaha but it doesnt seem there is much out there im new to the game so if there is any recommendations on whats best etc please feel free to help me out...

cheers kerry

Kerry just like car motors, outboard motors require regular servicing usually on hours done or once a year.

This can cost a couple hundred for a basic service, but at 500hr and then 700hrs you are looking a mayor costs. I haven’t hit those kind of hours yet but a mate has and it wasn’t cheap, basically a recondition.

Some things to think about,

Bigger is better, in a 14 footer unless you’re a diehard fishman you won’t go out any weather over 10-12 knots max

Lighter is better, less power required to get on the plane, cheaper to run, easier to launch

Alloy up to 6mtrs , can be launched by one person off a beach or ramp, can be parked on a beach for a picnic or if you get into trouble

Fibreglass, nicer finish, nicer ride (but I still wouldn’t go out in anything over 10-12 knots)

As for motors, check the service history, also spend some money on having an inspection done. Unlike a car if it breaks down you cannot just get out and walk home.

Hope this helps

Fair weather fishman

Aka sweetm3

I used to work at a place that sold boats. One thing I learnt was the level of servicing is significantly more important than brand of engine. Take what ever boat you are seriously considering to buy to get looked over, I saw to many people bring in boats for their first service only to discover the motor was compleatly stuffed and that we had already stripped the motor to tell the previous owner the same thing.

The 14'6 Sea Nymph is a really good hull that has been around for a long time. They perform better in rough water than they should for a boat of that size, hence why they are pretty expensive for such an old boat. That said, you still need to remember it is a small boat.

Alloy boats can be good and will take the knocks but they can also be a lot colder and noisier. You definately need to try before you buy.

Outboard motors are very difficult to wear out. They almost all die from corrosion, bad fuel, or lack of cooling water so finding one that is looked after is much more important than age. Condition overrules age and manufacturer brand by a hundred times.

i was thinking of going to have a look at this but the only thing that concerns me would be that the heads been off..http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-419347444.htm

As many have said - the motor condition is paramount as you can't get a taxi home if it packs up. The 14ft Sea Nymph we had when I was a kid was a great family boat. They ride well (much better than the ali boats) and aren't too much of a handful when launching. However, the old man bought another one a couple of years back and they are certainly a lot smaller when you get to 6ft+.....

Nothing wrong with a well maintained Johnson or Evinrude although my personal preference would be the Yamaha every time. One to avoid is the old Chrysler's although I think most of them will have corroded away by now.

Also consider the 16ft Bonito - they were a good family boat in their time. And make sure you sea trial it - some boats look fine (like my old mans Ramco) but can be bloody wet when you turn around to come home. The gullwing Sea Nymphs are pretty good in this respect.

i was thinking of going to have a look at this but the only thing that concerns me would be that the heads been off..http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-419347444.htm

That looks like quite a good tidy rig - the skeg doesn't even look to have been beached.... With 70hp it will never set any records, but still enough for the kids to ski behind (adults might struggle a bit).