Sign in to follow this  
39KiwiTouring

No more E46 Imports?

Is that correct they can't be complied from January next year, heard this from a dealer, what about the E39, just E60 and E90 now are able to be complied, can any one shed any light on this?.

Frontal impact laws stop older than 6 year old imports yes.

It is possible to import specaist vehicles that are deemed collectible or future classics however your talking m3's / m5's and the likes.

On the bright side, it will drive down the cost of e90's/e60's etc

Is that correct they can't be complied from January next year, heard this from a dealer, what about the E39, just E60 and E90 now are able to be complied, can any one shed any light on this?.

Yep, from 1 Jan I'm pretty sure all E39s and most, if not all E46s will not comply with the emissions standards. For the last 3 years, no E39s or E46s before 2001 (more or less) could be brought in anyways. Better do it quick if you're thinking of bringing one in.

Yep, nothing pre 2005.

Yep, nothing pre 2005.

Correct.

It's all to do with emission laws.

All vehicles coming into the country must now have the same emissions as the current European standard.

You can still bring in cars older than 20 years if they are a deemed a classic, rare or special vehicle.

You can still bring in cars older than 20 years if they are a deemed a classic, rare or special vehicle.

I thought we can bring in anything over 20 years and if less than that it has to be a classic, rare or special vehicle (plus Cat A vehicles).

I thought we can bring in anything over 20 years and if less than that it has to be a classic, rare or special vehicle (plus Cat A vehicles).

That is correct.

Apparently you can only bring in one every so often, and must keep it for 1 year? I haven't read up on it for a little while

Ideally I'd like to import a 2002-2006 Toyota Century V12, fortunately they are so rare (few 100 made a year) and unique they fit in with the special interest category.

I think this sort of thing is good, as I genuinely believe there are too many crap imports.

Too many Toyota Funcargos, extra super pov spec 318i's ect ect.

then it's a pain in the arse for many high spec jap cars.

Edited by antil33t

Ideally I'd like to import a 2002-2006 Toyota Century V12, fortunately they are so rare (few 100 made a year) and unique they fit in with the special interest category.

Well anything V12 has got to be special and rare. Isn't this the one that are used by the Japanese Imperial family (and possibly some Yakuzas)?

Edited by SpikeyLemon

Well anything V12 has got to be special and rare. Isn't this the one that are used by the Japanese Imperial family (and possibly some Yakuzas)?

Yeah that's the one. At the start of the year I had the opportunity to take one for a drive. It had a damage on the rear 1/4 that had damaged the chassis unfortunately but it still drove perfect. Never the less what a machine! like nothing I've driven before, virtually silent, effortless and ridiculously smooth. Build quality, finish and features are second to none. Really great car, although you would hope so when they cost something ridiculous, around $190,000 NZD. Unfortunately that car was destined to be stripped for parts... namely the motor, not sure who would need the rest of the parts being such a rare car though!

Only problem is, they are a bit of a pointless car unless lots of motorway A-B trips are done (in saying that It would probably end up being a garage piece for show), certainly not a 'fun' drive like a BMW is, in that sense a M3 or M5 would be a better spend of money!

Edited by V8E36