Sign in to follow this  
330iMSport

E46 330i brake options

Hi team

I've got a E46 330i due for new pads and rotors on the front. Priced up genuine BMW and if you're interested:

Pair of pads $253 + GST

Wear sensor $62 + GST (for the pair I assume)

Rotor $328 + GST each

Can anyone recommend any non OEM options that will hold up well and be a cheaper? Not any area I particularly want to skimp on but no doubt there is a "BMW" premium built into OEM, that I'd be happy to avoid.

Thanks in advance

Price with the obvious - Repco, BNT etc, Euro Italian on here.

BMW rotors are inherently soft anyway so wear factor of aftermarket will probably be similar to OEM

Thanks for that. You hear the odd horror story with cheap and nasty rotors so wondering if there were any in particular to avoid.

mmm... hard to know. A few years ago I put some Ching Fung Dung or whatevers on the front of the E39. Partly/ mainly because of cost (about $50 each compared to about $175+ ea OEM), but also with the theory that they couldn't be worse than the 65k that the originals lasted on the car. I did fit OEM pads though - much cheaper than you quote

Famous last words though... they developed a severe shudder after about 25k so had to have them skimmed about 12 months ago. They have been ok since, car now at just over 100k

Sooo in effect - milage will probably be as good as OEM

I highly recommend the Mintex pads from BNT. I have used these on various BMWs including a 330ci. They have excellent performance, and never squeak. The only downside would be higher disc wear due to the coarseness of the pad, but given the massive price difference, I wouldn't be too worried.

With regards to rotors, I get Brembos from BNT - they're cheaper than factory and also provide excellent performance.

PM me if you require any more details.

Cheers,

Andrew

I recommend Bendix Ultimate's pads matched with Brembo rotors from any BNT.You could also go to Racebrakes in Kingsland Auckland and run EBC Greens great for the street they have a down side to them being a bit noisy when cold but great bite for street use.A bit more harsher on your rotors then the Bendix Ultimate's as for rotors i could only recommend Brembo's as the other option at BNT was Chinese rotors no offense to any one but i wouldn't run them on any cars i own.Hope that helps price wise you would save a lot but i would see what other members have to say.

this all sounds like good info for me when I need to change brakes, where is this BNT you speak of?

BNT - all around the place. Look in your phone book:-