Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

E30 Rocker arm replacement

Hey Guys, just brought a cheap S.A. 325i with afew broken Rocker arms,

Who's replaced some and have you done it Head on?

I've read your ment to do it with the head off, but it's quite possible to do it with head on so it seems, just more of a pain in the ass, so would like to try it head on since it was dirt cheap! don't mind if it takes me abit longer

Also who's brought rocker arms locally and how much?? pelican parts work out at about $25 ea, don't think i'll get much cheaper than that

Andrew

It'd be a lot more fiddly to do with the head on, more chance of breaking/damaging something else too.

I'd replace all the rockers if you're keeping the car.

Pelican is best :P

Broken rocker arms probably = broken cambelt & bent valves as well... which would = cheap

Edited by *Glenn*

They do just break on their own dont they???

Anyway that was gonna be the next question!, cambelt was done approx 2000kms ago,

If it's out of time it'd more than likely cause them to break wouldn't it?

Just weighing up the options, if it's cheap enough to fix i'll do so and drive it around, if not might pull all the goodies off and get rid of it to the scrap yard/wrecker. If the body was in better condition id put the M50 and that'd fix the M20 for good haha :rolleyes:

Assuming the heads ok ( hasnt been overheated) why not take it off,get it checked,replace rockers yourself,new gasket & bolts=$500 maybe & u have a good engine.

It is possible to remove the rocker shaft in situ on an E34 m20.. carefully.. I have done this with a couple of engines.. not sure how much more you would have to remove on an E30. From memory I raised the engine a bit for clearance over the front so I could get it out far enough to remove/replace the broken rocker.

No idea why they broke, wasn't timing or cambelt.. they just gave way.. replaced them and off I went again.

We removed the engine, for the hassle / fiddling round in the engine bay it was actually quicker to get the engine out, in open space and do it there.

Word of caution if you are doing it your self, when hitting the shafts to get it out, be careful as not to dent a hole in the middle, as oil goes through there. So choose your "hitting rod" carefully, im not sure how others do it but im assuming a rubber cover will save some damage.

Have managed to change them in the engine bay,hassle tho, if you want some rockers just to get the thing running let know,cheers jon