Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

BMW Wheel Manufacturer

I have a question regarding the 1 piece Basketweaves made for the E30,

I assumed they were made by BBS? I have some 4 lug 15 inch version which

I was looking for a centre cap for, I called a BBS distributor and sent them some photos.

They got back to me assuring me that this was not manufactured by BBS on account of there being no logo stamped on them.

To me these rims appear identical to others I have seen, except for a single small threaded

locator hole positioned between 2 of the bolt holes.

So was this type of wheel manufactured by several companies and if so who might they be?

Any ideas?

:huh:

My 14"s have BBS stamped on them. As far as I am aware all basketweaves were made by BBS.. Unless BMW made thier own?

Its a bit confusing, I will need to find out before I buy some centre caps off E-bay.

they can be bought new through Alto BMW in Sydney. at $122 each

perhaps I can check with those guys and see if the caps actually stay on.

I think the centre caps will fit I am not sure if they will lock on.

Are the centre caps for the 14 and 15inch rims the same or different size for E30?

they different....i know BBS did make a RS??? which was similiar to a basketweave, but 2 piece....i think the stock ones are made by them, but i dont imagine BBS would still be making them...

just look for them rolling down the road, they're always flying off the f**king

things..

I have two lots of 15" basketweaves, but one type is BBS and the other not. Can't make out the manufacturer on the other rim. Both have BMW on them. The only visual difference I can see is the 4 smaller holes next to the lug holes are a different size, but no threaded hole on either type. The BBS cap fits both styles perfectly.

I am trying to attach a closeup of both wheels showing the differences but not having much luck... :banghead: Need some help here to attach them....

From what I can see on my wheels the only difference is the size of the smaller holes next to the lugholes, but none of these is threaded.

The 14" and 15" centres are definitely different. But I have a suspicion that the centres from the 15" basketweaves that were very common on the E34 535's might fit the E30 ones... bound to be some at a breakers yard.. ;)

This may be a stupid suggestion. But have you asked a dealer? Mobile Tradition now look after parts for all E30's. If they are genuine BMW wheels, I would expect that they can tell you something.

Right, finally figured how to get pic on... the right is the BBS wheel, the left is unknown make, but the BBS cap fits both. Maybe this helps??

Yep, I plan to check with a dealer eventually maybe this week some time.

I will try and post pictures today. The center of my wheels are not identical to either

of the photos you posted topless. but again very similar.

Possible they were not originally built for the E30 and accepted a different cap.

I think the offset may be 25mm as opposed to 24mm. They have E25 stamped on them?

The photo's should clarify things a bit, as it looks as though the centre caps may mount differently on my wheels.

Edited by Coffee&Doughnut

Guest Spargo

A wheel manufacturer. Those are TSW basketweaves.

Tonnes of TSW wheels were available as an option on the E30 when new.

Welll here is the photo, TWS eh, where abouts were they made?

I can see now there is some obvious differences, but the ones I got are the odd ones

out..

post-8-1118657023.jpg

Edited by Coffee&Doughnut

TSW have a factory in South Africa, not sure of where else they are actually made.

Where is your car from? Might give you an idea where the wheels came from.

you say your looking for a centre cap, why not just try the dealer? $$??? i dont imagine the wheel manufacturere would be any cheaper, any luck at wreckers, 2nd hand? the e34 ones mentioned before would are v common over here, and i dont see why they wouldnt fit

Well, these wheels did not come with my car, you dont want to know what wheels did come with the car! I got em off e-bay I wanted a spare set of wheels, and used 15inch basket weaves seemed like a good bet.

I only got 3 so I will have to find anothe,r but there is no hurry it is not as if I'm driving around on 3 wheels.

They were not listed as BBS but the seller said they came off an E-30, so i just assumed they were. I paid $210 for the lot which I thought was ok considering the tyres

have plenty of tread on them.

Actually tommorrow I may drop into one of the BMW dealers here in Sydney I have to pick up some vacum hose. They have a centre cap.

Furthermore eventually I was thinking of getting them re-finnished in black, cecotto like, waddya reckon?

Black centres and polished lip??? That would be my way...

The BBS centres for the standard rims that I have don't look like they will fit your wheels. Your caps look like they are held on by a single cap screw?? I had a set of OZ wheels a while ago that had a cap like this.

Good luck with the hunting for the 4th... and the cap... :P

i prefer charcoal/dark silver centres.....when its black you cant see the definition of the spokes anymore and they look smaller.....all are pimp though

Charcoal/ silver , sounds similar to black chrome, Yeah I was kind of thinking a dark

gunmetal sort of colour rather than straight out black.

Tryed out a centre cap today, no go they dont quite match up pattern wise.

So I think I will forget about centre caps, they look kind of cheap and cruddy anyway.

maybe I'll use lids from Nescafe jars or something.

I think the wheels I have may not have been made specifiically for BMW maybe .

But I may never know.