Sign in to follow this  
vanossa

Rattle, rattle, rattle

Hi there. I have located the rattle......When I drive (in particular) over the same bridge every day on my way to and from work, I can hear the rattle from the back end. I have looked under the body to find nothing suspect, e.g. loose muffler bracket or similar. However when I apply the brakes (under gentle acceleration) the rattle stops. So is it a brake caliper (thingy-somesuch) or something to do with the brakes? They are in absolutely perfect working condition. I Have recently warranted this car (post rattle).

Edited by vanossa

my 535i had a rattle from the rear end, slight touch of the brake pedal and itd stop, turnd out one of the 3 prongs on the brakepad had broken, check that?

my 535i had a rattle from the rear end, slight touch of the brake pedal and itd stop, turnd out one of the 3 prongs on the brakepad had broken, check that?

Its quite common with cheap disc pads. The retainers break and the disc pad backing plates are not made to the correct size causing the pads to rattle in the calliper carriers. Its made worse when pads are fitted without machining or replacing the rotors.

Aftermarket parts can never quite get the qualityness of the genuine item, forever battling with customers due to this.

Thanks so far guys. All the replies make sense. I will get my local mechanic to check the discs, calliper brackets and rotors etc...and that they are the correct size. I have my (local mechanic) warrant due in Feb. Do you think it is ok to continue driving her till then. I'd be motivated to have it seen to immediately if it was a safety issue or a wear and tear problem, with the potential to cause a big mess in the near future, but it drives as it should and has been like this for 6 months or more. Hope this does not sound too stupid. Cheers.

Edited by vanossa

If it is a braking problem i'd get it looked asap.

Not that this is your problem (nor am I a mechanic in any sense) but I had a similar 'rattle' as well. Noticable at slower speed as the rattle bounced off the objects all around us as we went, and of course very noticable on bridges. There was not rattle, when, say, backing out of the driveway etc but approx 10kph up the rattle started. Ended up being that the anti rattle spring popped out at some point between Auckland and Palmy, must've sounded real pimp to pedestrians :P

Brake rattle clip?

Yes the outer clip that retains the calliper on the carrier in this picture

post-1129-1325176200.jpg

I have the same kind of rattle .. notice it over every tiny bump, from the rear left hand side, sounds more like a ting ting ting ting - for lack of a better phrase :D

I must check those clips at some point!