Sign in to follow this  
Flow

Quietest Performance tire?

Question for the tire whores.

I've currently got Bridgestone Sport touring tires on the front of the e39 540iM and they just have to go. Top priority is grip and turn in response and a close second is quietness on our course chip open roads.

Any thoughts.

Also can some one please explain the fundamentals of tire noise.

Is tread pattern the primary factor?

Are directional's always louder?

Do tires with energy absorbing material like the aramid in the Michelin PSS help to dampen sound?

Just looking for the 235/45/17 fronts at the moment. Unless someone can convince me to get M5 18s and go for a full set of Micky PSS's

Cheers

Jas

you already know my opinion on performance tyres jas.

Goodyear asymmetrical or Bridgestone Adrenalin's both brilliant.

I don't like to comment on anything I haven't tested personally.

The Adrenalin's had plenty of grip down Cobham Drive didn't they? ;)

hey i would recommend the New Goodyear Eagle F1 asymetric 2. I got them on the ///M and they are awesome and silent

Thanks guys.

Darren: It was nice of the council to provide us with that race track. I'm not sure why the other cars were stopped or did it just seem that way?

Any of the UHP/MHP tires that ppl thought were actually rather loud and would stay away from if noise was a factor?

I've been reading this -> http://www.fem.unicamp.br/~lva/WorkshopQui...ys/Bernhard.pdf and have come to the conclusion that as always it is more complex than I thought and our roads are utter crap.

From what I gleaned;

Wider = Louder (Just going to ignore that!)

Stickier = Louder (going to ignore that as well!)

Blockier Pattern = Louder

Harder = Louder

Small exit channels for air to escape = Louder (high frequency)

Internal cavity volume excites 250 Hz resonance = Louder (most important for in car noise levels and different for each size of tire) <- Who wants to try and calculate that...

"Sorry dear but our current tire configuration excites a 250Hz harmonic resonance that is insufficiently dampened buy the systems mechanical properties hence we HAVE to upgrade to 315/30/21 all round in order to be able to listen to Rotor+ Aileron or any thing else with a wide dynamic range"

"Ok but are you sure it has to be so big? Is that really the first anti node creating cavity volume?"

"Of course dear"

"What ever you think is best... would you like massage while you type this?"

Damn I knew I was dreaming!!

Opportunity for tread blocks to slide over each other = Louder

Now I am no expert with little real world experience. Any one else care to add to this.

Who wants to put these in an order Quietest to Loudest?

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2

Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Bridgestone Potenza RE-11

Bridgestone RE002 Adrenalin's

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08

Continental ContiSportContact 3

Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1

Kumho Ecsta LE Sport

Pirelli PZero

I'm sure I've missed some and included some that are track only tires.

Many thanks

Jason

Darren: It was nice of the council to provide us with that race track. I'm not sure why the other cars were stopped or did it just seem that way?

I thought that was weird how they were all moving so slow since we never broke any speed limit. lol.

I'll bring out the GTR if your down again, it makes the M5 feel like a 1979 corolla.

Sorry I can't answer the noise question in regards to those tyres.

Buy what you can afford and turn the stereo up?

Buy what you can afford and turn the stereo up?

Right on the money there Darren!

I'm working on my signal to noise ratio!

...always had a thing for the r32's I'm sure that would be a hoot.

BTW your uber M5 completely flip'n Corollaized my 540M,

if ($the540m eq $therealm5) {

print "your dreaming! just get your own one.";

Fun times.

I don't really care how much the tires cost. I just want to stop it under steering and take a big chunk out of the road noise.

J

Sound order based on M3 & e36 325i all 225's or wider.

Note older models of tyres.

Continental ContiSportContact 2 Mid noise level at low tread level

Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD08 ( close to Re001's)

Bridgestone RE001 Adrenalin's

Awesome Neal.

The Conti's sure have minimal tread blocks.

Any one compared them to the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

Also take a look the new Toyo T1 Sport. We have been getting great feedback about them. If you are after something really quiet the Toyo C1S is super quiet, just not quite as performance orinted as the T1 Sport.

Thanks for chiming in Johno.

I'm deffo after performance first. I've been looking at the test on tirerack and the Continental Extreme Contact DW looks to be quiet and the Michelin Pilot Super Sport as well. But I want to sharpen up the turn in which points to the Micky's.

What do you think?

I really can't answer you which tyre will be the quietest sorry, our roads are horrible over here. The cheap rough volcanic chip they use is what causes most of the tyre noise.

The Conti is definitley a great performance tyre but if you look in another thread on here about tyres for an E39, Ron (3pedals) makes a great point about the load rating. It really needs to be a 97 and unfortunately the DW is only a 94. You said you want to sharpen up the turn in so the higher load rated tyre should flex less.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=38643

If you are loking at the Conti's I would be going for the Sport Contact 3 with the 97 load rating. We have an account with Tire Rack so let me know if you would like me to price them up for you.

cheers

Johno

Have SC3 on the new Megane, best non motorsport tyre I have used, they are ultra quite and still deliver a sporty drive, especially in the wet, wet grip is outer worldly!

There are better ultimate performance tyres out there but for daily driving and safe winter driving I'm defiantly keen to buy more when they die, should get 25,000km out of them swapping front to back.

2c

Edited by apex

There are better ultimate performance tyres out there but for daily driving and safe winter driving I'm defiantly keen to buy more when they die, should get 25,000km out of them swapping front to back.

2c

Just make sure you take the tyres off the rims and then swap them. The TPS system on the Renault's has been designed so they only work on specific corners of the car.

Ask Jack how I know :P

Have the T1 Sports on the rear of the M3, just trying to find some fronts to match. Johno, do you have them in stock?

So far, they appear to have quite silly amounts of grip, certainly puts the limit well out of bounds of what is sensible on the roads!

Have the T1 Sports on the rear of the M3, just trying to find some fronts to match. Johno, do you have them in stock?

So far, they appear to have quite silly amounts of grip, certainly puts the limit well out of bounds of what is sensible on the roads!

pm sent :)

Just make sure you take the tyres off the rims and then swap them. The TPS system on the Renault's has been designed so they only work on specific corners of the car.

Ask Jack how I know :P

Have had no issues with mine swiping front to rear, they reset and read well, TBH I use a old pressure gauge anyway.

Not sure if its bad luck or the tyres but we have had three punchers in 12,000km.

Question for the tire whores.

I've currently got Bridgestone Sport touring tires on the front of the e39 540iM and they just have to go. Top priority is grip and turn in response and a close second is quietness on our course chip open roads.

Any thoughts.

Also can some one please explain the fundamentals of tire noise.

Is tread pattern the primary factor?

Are directional's always louder?

Do tires with energy absorbing material like the aramid in the Michelin PSS help to dampen sound?

Just looking for the 235/45/17 fronts at the moment. Unless someone can convince me to get M5 18s and go for a full set of Micky PSS's

Cheers

Jas

A friend has Have Goodyear Assymetrical on his BMW, I have Michelin PS3 and both are quiet... Have tried others like Direzza, RE002, S001, just normal when it come to noise. I went with PS3 because it was cheaper and great in the wet which is my priority. If dry grip is top priority then Bridgestone is #1

Hey Ron.

I specified "max performance tires" tires in the title which is commonly understood vernacular. I'm Ok with extreme performance tires as well but not Track / Competition tires or Ultra High Performance tires.

Still interested in quietness on our course chip roads comparisons on, for instance; Michelin Pilot Super Sport vs Michelin Pilot Sport 3 vs Continental Contact Sport 5s vs Yokohama ADVAN Sport. They are all grippy enough I just want to know about quietness as I do mostly open road miles.

Cheers

Jason

Sounds like you do a bit of driving, in that case cross Continentals off your list unless you are prepared tpo spend the cars value on tyres every year, the Sport Contact Five has a higher wear ratting than the Three and the Three's are shocking!

I only ended up getting 15,000km out of the Continental Sport Contact III's, they were a great tyre and very quite but at $3,600 a set that's $7,200 a year in tyres for my daily driver, more than I spend on motorsport tyres!

Have replaced them with Toyo Proxes T1 Sport's at about half the price, they are not as good as the Continentals but they are not far off them, unfortunately they are a bit noisier so I would not recommend these if you are after a quite tyre.

The only other tyre available in NZ I would consider is the Good Year F1 Asymmetric, these are priced well and rate highly.

The only other tyre available in NZ I would consider is the Good Year F1 Asymmetric, these are priced well and rate highly.

Tried Michellen PP3's tick pretty much all the boxes and dont cost the earth either. Ive got them on the 5 and they rule. Widely availible in NZ

The Pilot Sport III? The buggers don't have any in my size and the price I was quoted was not far off the Continentals.

I wanted the PS2's but they had sold out of those too, I know they are very good all rounder and good for 20-25k.

European tyres are very good but at NZ prices very hard to justify, if I look at the cost the OEM continentals within three years I would have spent more on tyres than the car will be worth!

I am very happy with the Toyo's and to be honest it was a bang for your buck situation, when looking at international tyre tests the Good Year and Toyo score within 5% of the performance points compared to the top dog Continental but cost 120% less.

You can feel the Continentals have a stiffer side wall and softer compound, this is great on a race car and no doubt why they win all thee tests but one thing tests don't take into account is how long they will last, especially on NZ's cave man roads.

Edited by apex

Pilot Preceda 3. Cost $1555 for the set include wheel alignment from Tire Tech.

Not as soft as the PS2 or PPS so last longer. While they're not a track tire they do grip very very well on the 5 in the dry or wet. Driving back from NYE in the down pour .. deep standing water on the road and no issues driving the same as I would in the dry open road.

Not sure in a car that weighs less, so cant comment.

Different kettle of fish and two very different applications, would not run a tyre like the Pilot Preceda 3 on my car, would be like giving a track star a pair or crocks..

Would be a good tyre for the OP though!

Edited by apex

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I'm not too worried about cost or mileage. I'll probably end up getting the Michelin PS3 or PSS. Any one had any experience with both that can comment on the noise on our "Cave Man" roads?

Also the 540 is weight rated at 94 any advantage / cost to be had with a 99 weight rated tire?

Many thanks

Jason