Sign in to follow this  
pulse

Rear suspension creak

Replaced my stock 17" wheels with 18" M3 replicas.

Posted Image

But now when stopped, if I pump the brakes, I can hear the rear suspension creaking on both sides. Definitely did not happen before the wheel change. Any clues as to what this is? Bushes?

Does it do it with the handbrake on / off ??

Even with the car completely off, while hand brake is on, if I use my hands to push down on the wheel arch - it squeaks, does it on both sides.

check the torque of the wheel bolts again esp after about 100 k

Thanks for the info, I will check. (Car is at 70k) Edited by pulse

Even with the car completely off, while hand brake is on, if I use my hands to push down on the wheel arch - it squeaks, does it on both sides.

Thanks for the info, I will check. (Car is at 70k)

Try it in a safe area without the handbrake on... if it doesnt do it , it will be the handbrake shoes moving on the unlubricated backing plates. ... you could also ring and make a time for me to have a look if you like.

Kiwi535 meant 100 km.... not 100,000k. You still shouldn't have to check the wheels if they were done correctly in the first place, however it would be prudent to check the wheel bolts just in case. Torque setting should be 90 ft lbs

Edited by *Glenn*

Try it in a safe area without the handbrake on... if it doesnt do it , it will be the handbrake shoes moving on the unlubricated backing plates. ... you could also ring and make a time for me to have a look if you like.

Kiwi535 meant 100 km.... not 100,000k. You still shouldn't have to check the wheels if they were done correctly in the first place, however it would be prudent to check the wheel bolts just in case. Torque setting should be 90 ft lbs

Thanks, it still does it with the handbrake off. I may make a booking with you later this month - the front brakes also squeak very loudly when coming to a complete stop or taking off from a stop - I know that a small squeak in an auto is normal, but this is very loud.

The torque setting seems to be correct or close to it.

Glenn, this should show you my issues:

Creaking front brakes:

Ignore the jingle of my keys, you can hear how loud the brakes creaking are while I'm stopped, transmission in D and pumping the brakes.

http://youtu.be/cyZEuQZfTuY

Squeeking rear suspension:

I'm sitting on rear of the car bouncing on the suspension.

http://youtu.be/GoxAPFoZEx4

Edited by pulse

Doesn't help at all. In alot of cases you need to use a stethescope to locate the source of these types of problems & noises.... I would also agree you have a noise that would piss the hell out of alot of people.

BTW: The noises sound like the work bench in a chinese brothel creaking :P

Edited by *Glenn*

Doesn't help at all. In alot of cases you need to use a stethescope to locate the source of these types of problems & noises.... I would also agree you have a noise that would piss the hell out of alot of people.

very technical Glenn!

check for a chinese whore house that may be operating out of your boot at night.

check for a chinese whore house that may be operating out of your boot at night.

No such luck :(

FYI, if you guys are interested...

I took the car to a mate of mate who works at pitstop. Put on the hoist. Turns out the front brake creak is simply that the discs are slightly uneven, simply machining will fix it. The rear squeak is the shocks, but he said there is nothing wrong with my shocks at all, just an unfortunate sound from the rubber on metal... reckons the only way to fix it, is to replace the shocks, but really not worth the cost.

get up under there with a can of CRC.

amazing what that can fix.

What's the old saying?

If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it.

If it should move and doesn't, CRC it.

Two tools no man should be without.

get up under there with a can of CRC.

amazing what that can fix.

What's the old saying?

If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it.

If it should move and doesn't, CRC it.

Two tools no man should be without.

I own both these things. Yeah, I will CRC the sh*t out of it, see if it helps.

-e-

Worked like a boss!

Edited by pulse

tool kit in a can!

:)