Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

Nice E39, is this anybody's on here?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/...n-437830809.htm

Really loving the look of this 530, just wondering if anyone on here owns it? It's what I've been looking for for a while except for the high milage. What sort of problems would you look out for at that sort of k's (apart from the cooling system)? I'd rather a well serviced high k nz new one over a low milage unserviced jappa.

If its been well serviced then 218k is not an issue.

Nice looking car

Yeah running gear I suppose would be the main part. They also said nothing had been done to the cooling system, so at that price its probably a bit rich, given that it would need to be done as preventative maintanence. Sounds like its had a dam good service record though so might give it a look.

Seen your 6 speed on there too, would love a 540 ^_^ but insurance is a killer for under 25. If you dont mind me asking, how much was the manual conversion?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=440342764

Been looking at this one for a while, going to go have a look at it today seeing as i have time off :rolleyes:

Does anyone know this car? Probably hard seeing as the number plates blanked out. The K's are up a bit but sounds like its had a good history from team McMillan. Any opinions?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=440342764

Been looking at this one for a while, going to go have a look at it today seeing as i have time off :rolleyes:

Does anyone know this car? Probably hard seeing as the number plates blanked out. The K's are up a bit but sounds like its had a good history from team McMillan. Any opinions?

The kms are fine! Looks nice, E39 530s are very nice cars with the boogie to match.

Thanks for that, that was my opinion too, but in our family its always low km's lol. being more highway km's hopefully the servicing would be done more frequently. The lowest price he will take at the mo is 2k less than start, which I thought was pretty good. I'm just about to go have a look at it, so will see if its as good as it looks/sounds on the ad. Thanks for advice, will keep posted =)

Went and had a look at it. Very very tidy example, cosmetically. Mechanically wasn't toooo bad, (I don't know how much I'm allowed to say about other cars on these threads) I wont say what I found, but I will say at that price, I was pretty dissapointed. Definetly showing the km's.

Edited by rusteee

I would assume its ok to say, other people might be interested in it, plus better to warn/look out for members on here.

Also its no one on here so you wouldnt be stepping on anyones toes.

Ohk thats cool, didn't want to over step the boundry or annoy anyone.

At first glance the car was perfect, most of the interior etc was like new (don't even think the back seats have been used), the doors were tight, bugger all wear on the steering wheel, seats etc, no uneven tyre wear or unstraight panels. Popped the hood, first thing was rocker cover gasket leaking oil something chronic, which you'd almost expect. Pulled the oil cap off, extremely gunged up on and around it, sort of like you'd see on an unserviced jap import. Pull the dipstick, very low on oil. Power steering hoses leaking (not major but enough you could see its been leaking for a while), I found small traces of dried coolant spatters on the underside of the bonnet, so I took it up to temp and found pinhole crack on the side of the radiator and also thermostat housing, both squirting out once up to temp.

Took it for a drive, was pretty smooth, but at operating temp, at take off the engine knocked a bit much (like you'd expect a badly serviced round town car to do). So at the least, the cooling system straight away would have to have been replaced, and possibly replace the power steering hoses, was alos overdue for a service, so again that would need to be done.

Edited by rusteee

Ohk thats cool, didn't want to over step the boundry or annoy anyone.

At first glance the car was perfect, most of the interior etc was like new (don't even think the back seats have been used), the doors were tight, bugger all wear on the steering wheel, seats etc, no uneven tyre wear or unstraight panels. Popped the hood, first thing was rocker cover gasket leaking oil something chronic, which you'd almost expect. Pulled the oil cap off, extremely gunged up on and around it, sort of like you'd see on an unserviced jap import. Pull the dipstick, very low on oil. Power steering hoses leaking (not major but enough you could see its been leaking for a while), I found small traces of dried coolant spatters on the underside of the bonnet, so I took it up to temp and found pinhole crack on the side of the radiator and also thermostat housing, both squirting out once up to temp.

Took it for a drive, was pretty smooth, but at operating temp, at take off the engine knocked a bit much (like you'd expect a badly serviced round town car to do). So at the least, the cooling system straight away would have to have been replaced, and possibly replace the power steering hoses, was alos overdue for a service, so again that would need to be done.

All typical things for an M52TU/M54, the rocker cover gaskets are common and not serious at all. The oil cap sludge is also common, people get paranoid when they see this but due to there being a splash guard just under the oil cap old oil tends to build up on it, take the rocker cover right off and it'll be a different story.

The powersteer leak will be old hose clamps on the reservoir, these leak on all BMWs of this era, just replace with new ones and the leak will stop.

The cooling system problems, as everyone will know are typical also, the side tank and thermostat will need replacing.

All things you can use to bargain with the owner.

Oh absolutely, all general maintanence, but at that price, then having to spend another couple of k on getting it up to scratch, in my opinion just wasn't worth it. He was not budging at all on the price (got down to $13750) even pointing out these issues. How long has it been driven with low oil (was barely on minimum on the dipstick)? He said he never ever lifts the bonnet or checks anything. When a light comes on, it gets serviced and thats it. Good to know about the oil cap thing though, thankyou, I was told by the local that if a car has that sort of sludge build up on the cap, its been long distances between services, which in saying that I have seen a couple of 330i at 100k/km+ spotlessly clean under the oil cap, just wet oil. I suppose it all comes down to what your willing to pay. But the knocking at takeoff etc put me right off. Has to be one of the tidier ones i've seen while looking though.

Edited by rusteee

I don't know if you have your heart set on the motorsport but a regular 530i in good condition can be had from a dealer for about 12k and even less if you want to trade something in. They will usually fix issues raised when selling. Mine fixed the valve cover gasket you're talking about.

That being said I've just replaced the cooling system and some suspension parts having owned the car for a year.

Oh absolutely, all general maintanence, but at that price, then having to spend another couple of k on getting it up to scratch, in my opinion just wasn't worth it. He was not budging at all on the price (got down to $13750) even pointing out these issues. How long has it been driven with low oil (was barely on minimum on the dipstick)? He said he never ever lifts the bonnet or checks anything. When a light comes on, it gets serviced and thats it. Good to know about the oil cap thing though, thankyou, I was told by the local that if a car has that sort of sludge build up on the cap, its been long distances between services, which in saying that I have seen a couple of 330i at 100k/km+ spotlessly clean under the oil cap, just wet oil. I suppose it all comes down to what your willing to pay. But the knocking at takeoff etc put me right off. Has to be one of the tidier ones i've seen while looking though.

The knocking could be concerning, did the owner say anything about this?

I don't know if you have your heart set on the motorsport but a regular 530i in good condition can be had from a dealer for about 12k and even less if you want to trade something in. They will usually fix issues raised when selling. Mine fixed the valve cover gasket you're talking about.

That being said I've just replaced the cooling system and some suspension parts having owned the car for a year.

There are a few good non motorsport ones out there, but really would prefer the motorsport (just being fussy :rolleyes: ) I know I'll have to pay a fair bit more, but I'm planning on keeping the next car for a few years so would rather get exactly what I'm after and not settle for less. Not worried about high km's, resale value etc, aslong as its a good tight car.

The knocking could be concerning, did the owner say anything about this?

Yeah, the knocking to me sounded like a tired/lack of service engine. It would also knock for a short period (sound like detonating/spark knock) if you went to put your foot down for a bit of power. The last car I had that knocked at takeoff was pretty tired and had been thrashed quite a lot. Owner wasn't really fussed about any of the issues, as long as the key goes in and the car turns on he was happy and its a good car :rolleyes: .

Poor fuel quality can cause the knock amoung other things.

Poor fuel quality can cause the knock amoung other things.

Oh yeah, sorry I'm no expert. I suppose I could have just been paranoid, but to me sounded like having to spent more money on top of other things. It was running on 98. didn't seem to hinder performance though, was still quite responsive.

Oh yeah, sorry I'm no expert. I suppose I could have just been paranoid, but to me sounded like having to spent more money on top of other things. It was running on 98. didn't seem to hinder performance though, was still quite responsive.

I could almost guarantee you that you won't be able to buy an E39 which will not require some work to make it perfect. You're talking about a German car of which the youngest example is now 9 years old.

But I feel your pain - one of the most irritating things is looking at cars which look good in photos and are described as "mint" or "excellent" when they're really not.

Thats some good negotiating skills right there..

Hahaha, I would have been more than happy to pay full price but given the work required, $13750 wasn't too bad exceot for the knocking. He said people have offered him 12k, but as he said they were dreaming.

I could almost guarantee you that you won't be able to buy an E39 which will not require some work to make it perfect. You're talking about a German car of which the youngest example is now 9 years old.

But I feel your pain - one of the most irritating things is looking at cars which look good in photos and are described as "mint" or "excellent" when they're really not.

around 12-13k seems to be the selling price for these as private sales (there are a few higher but they have been for sale for months from looking at trademe and sella), all depends on what people want to pay. $13750 as I say would be sweet even with a few problems but, then having to get basically all the major servicing done on it at once would be a bit of a bugger.

The E53 is based on the E39 and mines done 185kms and tight as a drum.

When did you get another? Must have missed that?

When did you get another? Must have missed that?

Just before Christmas. 11/2005 X5 Sportpac, 19" sportpac wheels, sterling grey.

post-2864-1327979611.jpg

Thats pretty dam nice =), yeah im not so worried about km's, I've got that idea out of my head :rolleyes: but with this car it was more the maintanence required immediately after purchase and the knocking noise that put me off. Would have loved it though, been looking for ages, maybe im just being to picky hahaha

Edited by rusteee