Sign in to follow this  
Subway

e46 transmission issues

normally id post this up in the general tech subforum, but im stuck in the coromandel and need to get back to work for monday (Auckland) and need some urgent advice!

02 E46 320i (M54 2.2L/5 Speed Auto with Steptronic?)

Was driving into town and noticed suddenly that between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3 it would thud when changing

Turned it off, went away. Came back again shortly after. No check engine/limp mode warnings. Went away half way through the drive home.

Obviously I need to get it to BM Workshop or Botany Motorworx when I get back, but its whether I need to get it towed back or whether I should be sweet to drive it back.....

Opinions appreciated!

The thud is ok if its not too violent, a few things that can cause it. Worn value guide, fluid issues (burnt / dirty etc) or the EGS going into over temp mode this is usually accompanied with the car holding its revs, but is a last ditch effort for the car to try and reduce trans fluid temps buy cycling it through the trans cooling system faster.

It's not the end of the world just take it easy and dont put lots of load on it. EG cruise it on the way home.

Worn value guide.

Have you got an info link about this Josh.... curious to know what you mean. Youve mentioned it a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

Have replacement transmissions.

Have you got an info link about this Josh.... curious to know what you mean. Youve mentioned it a couple of times in the last 2 weeks

Had a quick look and couldnt find the link .. will have another look later on.

Made it back to Auckland sweet.

Noticed it wasnt changing gears appropriately, maybe MAF sensor?

When would be a good time this week to bring it in Glenn?

When would be a good time this week to bring it in Glenn?

I could do a scan tomorrow to see whats going on... but we are fully booked

I could do a scan tomorrow to see whats going on... but we are fully booked

Bugger, Ok then.

Well, does anyone have an OBD2 Scanner I could come visit so we can pull the codes?

I live out Howick way, but work in Takapuna, so wouldn't be able to just swing by Botany tomorrow, would need to drop it off for the day or so.

Jerry Clayton is right next door to my work, but I fear the stealership will charge me $500 just for the scan....

Bring it up to us after work. Call if you want it done.

If you are still in need of a scan you can swing by Penrose. We are here until 5 if it is helpful?

Thanks for the offers guys.

I havent had it scanned yet, but the problem has gone away. Still need want it checked though for peace of mind.

Waiting on a mate to lend me his OBD2 scanner.

Also noticed the AirCon doesnt work that well at all, the joys of owning a tempermental european car!

Huge Bump

Turns out this was largely caused by a faulty wheel speed sensor, caused the ABS/DSC to disengage, and was apparently feeding the wrong info to the gearbox which would explain the dodgy shifting and the limp mode

Currently in with Glenn at the moment getting a tickle up, cheers glenn!