Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Importing a complete car for parts?

When it comes to importing a car from overseas into New Zealand, would there be any problems importing anything if it was to be stripped down and use for parts only?

If anyone has done this please share your experience!

I have only bought in complete "good" cars in that have been registered here.

I do know of cars that have been bought in specifically for parts (damaged & complete) with no issues.

Bear in mind that non drivable cars are costlier to ship + you will still be up for all the usual import duty costs this end.

My brother in law is currently over in the UK and we've been eyeing up a couple of E36 M3s that courtesy of the salt the poms lay on the roads in winter are little more than swiss cheese structurally. The idea is to load a couple into a container and ship em here, then transplant full mechanicals etc into willing donor bodies here. Cost wise it's reasonable compared to buying a similar M here and the rebuild process should be less painful than trying to source all the bits individually here. Only thing we're a little fuzzy on is the import duties, has anyone else here done something similar so we can get an idea of the tax nazis cut once the cars reach port?

the $400 rule will still apply. anything above the cost of $400 you will still pay GST even if it is second hand. as well as other import duties.

Some friends imported some containers of older 70's and 80's Japs late last year from the states and imported it all as scrap metal, so only had to pay a few hundred dollars (under $300 i think) for several tonnes of parts and made a packet selling as spares to boy racers and enthusiasts! This sounds very similar what you are doing!

The only difference between bringing over a "parts" car and bringing over a compliable car is that you won't have to pay any costs towards getting the car complied. Everything else is the same process. GST/MAF/Transport.

Best to pick something that is RO/RO (Roll on/Roll off). Unless you want to pay extra and don't mind it being picked up by a forklift.

However if you do something similar to what Cliff's friends have done you will need to fill a container to make it worthwhile. Containers are quite a bit more expensive.

dont expect to sell a e36 built up to be a m3 to sell for the same price as a proper M3...imho

No real intention of selling it if it ever happens.

Only reason we're considering it is we can bring a decent amount of machinery back for significantly less than buying a whole car here and for the fun of a total transplant project. Considering the cheapest M3 I've seen recently on trademe was asking over 15k, importing and transferring the gear over is still a cheaper method, albeit not by a great deal. And there's something to keep me out of the missus' hair for a few months :rolleyes: Win-win really.

Anyone got any idea whether such a project would require a cert?

The only difference between bringing over a "parts" car and bringing over a compliable car is that you won't have to pay any costs towards getting the car complied. Everything else is the same process. GST/MAF/Transport.

Best to pick something that is RO/RO (Roll on/Roll off). Unless you want to pay extra and don't mind it being picked up by a forklift.

I thought that would be the case, I've just been weighing up the costs of importing a late 90s or early 00's Toyota Celsior, (LS400 or LS430), they they have the nice VVTi V8 and 5 Speed auto. The 00's Celsior is particularly nice with the 4.3L V8 3UZ-FE, all they really need is a good set of headers, a new ECU and they put out a reliable 320hp / 450nm or so. Seems I could get a mint one to strip landed for 5-10k. Just pondering the idea if I decided to make a second set of mounts up for another E36 V8 conversion down the line off my CAD plans. Then again, if I really think about it I'd be better off just buying an early 90s crate engine here for a couple of grand and spending 5k tuning it.......... :rolleyes:

Anyone got any idea whether such a project would require a cert?

If you're using a non-M car and putting a S50 into it then I would say you would require a cert, best to cover all you bases rather than loose out on insurance if they cross reference the engine numbers and pull you up on it.

Edited by Michael.

While I'll be reading the more knowledgeable members to post their knowledge, short answer is yes. There was a similar query I posted on Toyspeed as I could has sworn I saw a FXGT Corolla in Hawkes Bay with a supercharger. Upon wondering if it was feasible as an engine swap, someone pointed out that if the engine you are swapping for is more powerful than the one it came with, it needs a cert. :(

Edited by Sick Puppy

I thought that would be the case, I've just been weighing up the costs of importing a late 90s or early 00's Toyota Celsior, (LS400 or LS430), they they have the nice VVTi V8 and 5 Speed auto. The 00's Celsior is particularly nice with the 4.3L V8 3UZ-FE, all they really need is a good set of headers, a new ECU and they put out a reliable 320hp / 450nm or so. Seems I could get a mint one to strip landed for 5-10k. Just pondering the idea if I decided to make a second set of mounts up for another E36 V8 conversion down the line off my CAD plans. Then again, if I really think about it I'd be better off just buying an early 90s crate engine here for a couple of grand and spending 5k tuning it.......... :rolleyes:

If you're using a non-M car and putting a S50 into it then I would say you would require a cert, best to cover all you bases rather than loose out on insurance if they cross reference the engine numbers and pull you up on it.

From what I frequently hear is that you should avoid the VVTi versions of the Toyota V8. Where the older version has every aftermarket part under the sun avalible to it the VVTi motors have near nothing.

From what I frequently hear is that you should avoid the VVTi versions of the Toyota V8. Where the older version has every aftermarket part under the sun avalible to it the VVTi motors have near nothing.

Yeah, I always drift into thinking the VVTi version are a good way to go, but at the end of the day they aren't really as good as they seem on paper, construction is weaker through out, rods, pistons, and stud (to save weight), they are drive by wire, and have other electric issues to factor in when converting. Plus, trying to work on the vvti heads by upgrading camshafts... sounds like a head ache!

I've got a 1993 1st generation 1UZFE in my current setup, at least it's ideal for future upgrades, especially if I decide to go FI one day, the factory pistons and rods are more than sufficient.

Plus, the early V8 was quite a good looking motor, the later ones through all that out the window and are pretty ugly.

Thanks for the link Glenn, that answers all of my questions and then some!

If it requires certing the pressure goes on to find a donor for minimal cost, otherwise it may well turn out to be more cost effective just to buy an M here! Or just save all the dicking about and get the 540 ;)

If you ever want to have a chat about importing a car PM me and I'll give you my number. I sourced my M3 overseas and have now gone through the process right from purchase, importation to compliance and registration. Like the other guys have said you can import just about anything but you may not be able to register it for the road.

Anyway, happy to help.

If you ever want to have a chat about importing a car PM me and I'll give you my number. I sourced my M3 overseas and have now gone through the process right from purchase, importation to compliance and registration. Like the other guys have said you can import just about anything but you may not be able to register it for the road.

Anyway, happy to help.

Cheers Dylan - We've got til July before the outlaws return, if it looks like a donor car import is on the cards I'll be sure to touch base with you for what you know :)

Thanks for all the useful info guys!