Sign in to follow this  
bmw_tonci

Front Brakes

Hi guys,

I have a 1995 e36 328i, which has had an issue with shudders or shimmying at high speeds (i.e. 80-100kph)

I have just had the rear top shock mounts replaced and this has drastically improved the shimmy at motorway speeds however it still shudders heavily while braking at those speeds. The mechanics have suggested having my rotors machined to fix this issue. Is this likely to be the only cause of the issue, or could other items be involved? Is it worth having the rotors machined, or just replacing the rotors themselves? What are the likely costs of both options?

Thank you for any information you can offer!

Cheers,

Tonci

Shimmy at speed without braking can be tyres, suspension components or wheels ( hubcentric issues) Under braking the issues can be CAB bushes, rotors, calliper slides, hubcentric brake component issues combined with a combination of the whole lot. Machining the rotors will not resolve issues of shimmy that occur without braking.

i wouldnt bother to ever skim BMW rotors. they are surprisingly cheap for OEM ones from the dealer

i wouldnt bother to ever skim BMW rotors. they are surprisingly cheap for OEM ones from the dealer

+1

Rotors are about $150 each front.

Complete set of OEM rotors and pads is less than $1k. The quality is better than similarly priced aftermarket stuff too.