Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

E38 wheel 5mm spacer shudder

Hi all

I have 16x8 style5s basketweaves on my e34 with 225/55/16. Ive had to put 5mm spacers on as tyre was fouling strut.

Alignment has been done and wheels are balanced.

But i now have a good shudder at 90- 110km as the rim is sitting further out now do i need really thin hubcentric rings. As i could see the bore is tapered of towards the outside?

As advice would be great. And if i need hubcentric rings any ideas where to get them?

Cheers

E34/32 are notorious for the front end shimmy from the rear control arm bush.

That would be my first port of call to check.

Adding the spacer has likely exacerbated an existing issue.

NB. All wheel spacers need to be certified and are to be hubcentric.

Not having either means your vehicle does not meet WOF standards and will be a problem if you have a prang.

Also, 225/55, is that not one size too tall? 225/50 would be a more appropriate sive for the E34, not sure but if the lower profile being squarer on the rim may mean you don't need the spacer??

E38 has the same centerbore as the E34 = no hubcentric rings required (only the E39 has odd ø74mm CB).

And no, you can't use a hubcentric ring to locate the spacer on the hub.

I had some 6mm ones made that fit the ø72.5mm hub and have a bevel on the back.

This left enough of the hub for my particular wheels to mount hubcentrically still.

The others I have are 15mm hubcentric.

Edited by E30-323ti

I ran 3mm spacers up front on my E34 with E38 wheels to clear the strut.

Didn't make any difference to the shimmy condition it had. Since then I've replaced the thrust arms (ball joint and bush) and now it's fixed it nearly completely, still a slight vibration, but it's different and hard to noticed, more than likely caused by other worn links and the driveshaft center bearing being a bit tired.

The trouble is with the wheels not the tyres. A 225/55/16 is the correct size for an E34. The E38 rims run a higher offset than the E34. This offset combined with the width is what is causing the rubbing. The centrebores on E34 and E38 are the same, so no locating rings are required. It will be the spacers that are causing the vibration as they will not allow the rim to sit on the hub spigot properly.

The trouble is with the wheels not the tyres. A 225/55/16 is the correct size for an E34. The E38 rims run a higher offset than the E34. This offset combined with the width is what is causing the rubbing. The centrebores on E34 and E38 are the same, so no locating rings are required. It will be the spacers that are causing the vibration as they will not allow the rim to sit on the hub spigot properly.

Edited by kiwi6539

Hi Thanks for info.

Zenetti is there anything that can be done?

Also i want to get longer wheel studs. not sure what length?

I've found with 3mm rings it still allows the wheel to seat nicely on the hub, theres no difference on my car with or without them (other than the ever so slight rub on the tyre), from what I have read online 5mm+ spacers can give problems, especially with the beveled edge.

the trouble with most spacers is that they are a 73.1 cb and BMW is 72.5. It is just about impossible to find a CBL ring that thickness.

As has been mentioned spacers are not WOFable, and worst case scanrio, your insurance will not pay out.

The correct way to fix it properly is to change the wheels to something that will fit, or you could go to a lightly narrower tyre, 215/55/16 would be my choice. I am pretty sure I sent that through to you when replying to your pm :)

If you want to keep the spacers then I would suggest converting to studs in the hub and using wheel nuts.

Thanks again for info.

I was planning on just running 215/55/15 but was told they were to narrow for 8inch rim?

So purchased 225s.

What do think or running 215 on 8inch rim?.

Just tinking of options as i don't really want to run spacers but want to keep the wheels.

Can you i get camber adjustment kit. (not coilovers) so i can create a little space would this work?

Edited by kiwi6539

Thanks again for info.

I was planning on just running 215/55/15 but was told they were to narrow for 8inch rim?

So purchased 225s.

What do think or running 215 on 8inch rim?.

Just tinking of options as i don't really want to run spacers but want to keep the wheels.

Can you i get camber adjustment kit. (not coilovers) so i can create a little space would this work?

depends where its rubbing, if its rubbing the strut it wont help. if its the chassis itself then it may help, but then you may have issues on the other side of the wheel, such as it hitting the driver/passenger footwells and/or the front of the gaurd and our the outside top of the gaurds. this is solved by flaring the gaurds and not using full lock

Hey

The tyre is rubbing the strut so they won't work. Thanks for advice.

and from I have learned a 215 tyre is to narrow.

Cheers

SOLUTION:

Keep wheels - buy new car

Keep car- buy correct size / fitting wheels & tyres

Problem solved

SOLUTION:

Keep wheels - buy new car

Keep car- buy correct size / fitting wheels & tyres

Problem solved

^^ the truth without spending big money

this is solved by flaring the gaurds and not using full lock

do you know the difference between "solving" and "avoiding" ? :wacko:

Hey

The tyre is rubbing the strut so they won't work. Thanks for advice.

and from I have learned a 215 tyre is to narrow.

Cheers

The maximum recommended width for a 215/55 16" is 7.5". However I think a tyre that is slightly to narrow is preferable to running a 5mm spacer that effectively takes 5mm thread out of your hubs.

What we really need to know is a, how badly is it rubbing? (can you still freely turn the wheel and tyre when bolted up?) and b. what brand tyre are you using? ( as different brands have different sectional widths even though they are still a 225)

As Glenn said, the CORRECT way to solve the issue is to change to a different wheel. :)

do you know the difference between "solving" and "avoiding" ? :wacko:

No