Sign in to follow this  
Antallica

E36 Door Handle Issue

Hey all,

In the last couple of months my outside driver door handle won't open the door, I have to apply pressure to the top corner of the door then pull. It'll open from the inside reasonably well.

I've sprayed WD all over the mechanisms and pulled the door cover off and had a look around. Made it a bit worse after all the lol.

Anyway does anyone know what's going on? I'm tired of looking like a d*ck trying to open it every day :blink:

the ali parts inside break so you will need a new handle mech.

i have some if needed

Hey all,

In the last couple of months my outside driver door handle won't open the door, I have to apply pressure to the top corner of the door then pull. It'll open from the inside reasonably well.

I've sprayed WD all over the mechanisms and pulled the door cover off and had a look around. Made it a bit worse after all the lol.

Anyway does anyone know what's going on? I'm tired of looking like a d*ck trying to open it every day :blink:

Don't know if you've sorted it yet, but I had this issue with mine, very frustrating <_< , had to apply pressure in the top corner to open both the drivers and passengers door. I sprayed some CRC into the actual latching part of the door, on the side (not the door handles) and manually clicked the latch up without closing the door, then released using the door handle a few times, spraying the moving parts each time. This sorted the issue with both doors on mine, and the olds car with the same issue. Shame I didn't try before going out and buying new latches first :rolleyes: if you havn;t alrerady tried, hope this helps

Don't know if you've sorted it yet, but I had this issue with mine, very frustrating <_< , had to apply pressure in the top corner to open both the drivers and passengers door. I sprayed some CRC into the actual latching part of the door, on the side (not the door handles) and manually clicked the latch up without closing the door, then released using the door handle a few times, spraying the moving parts each time. This sorted the issue with both doors on mine, and the olds car with the same issue. Shame I didn't try before going out and buying new latches first :rolleyes: if you havn;t alrerady tried, hope this helps

Yeah I did all that, wish it had fixed it. Must be the mechs inside.

the ali parts inside break so you will need a new handle mech.

i have some if needed

Cheers mate, will have a think about what I'm gonna do about it. Might just throw it at my mechanic due to my back. Will drop you a line if I need it though.

don't buy just any e36 door handle from a dismantler, they do differ

seen it time and time again , people being sold the wrong handle

get the number off the back ie: R1, r2 etc stamped into the handle and lock,

cheers

Jon

ps; any probs just give me a call

04 3801089

Hell, this is a common wear issue, both the handles in my coupe are doing this, such a pain in the ass, is it an easy DIY fix or should I give it to someone who knows what they're doing?

Hell, this is a common wear issue, both the handles in my coupe are doing this, such a pain in the ass, is it an easy DIY fix or should I give it to someone who knows what they're doing?

takes a while on the coupes , have to remove the glass etc to get at the back of the handle mech

Just a bit off topic i have a 95 E36 Sedan i was wondering if i got a pair of rear door handles from the same year and model.Could i replace my front handles so they won't have key locks anymore when i go for a key less entry alarm.Are they a straight fit swap over?any info would be great..

Just a bit off topic i have a 95 E36 Sedan i was wondering if i got a pair of rear door handles from the same year and model.Could i replace my front handles so they won't have key locks anymore when i go for a key less entry alarm.Are they a straight fit swap over?any info would be great..

use a front door handle from a late model e36 about 97 onwards they dont have key hole.

then use a handle surround from the right rear door to cover the key hole after you remove the barrol from it.

and what say your remote fails how would you get in??

use a front door handle from a late model e36 about 97 onwards they dont have key hole.

then use a handle surround from the right rear door to cover the key hole after you remove the barrol from it.

and what say your remote fails how would you get in??

Thanks for that il see if i can find one over here or nz trade me.If the battery dies or the remote fails il call road assistance for the free break in service lol i guess :blink:

Thanks for that il see if i can find one over here or nz trade me.If the battery dies or the remote fails il call road assistance for the free break in service lol i guess :blink:

Just buy one of these

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-32r00-1.html

good for breaking windows....ask any car thief

Just buy one of these

http://www.skygeek.com/ats-32r00-1.html

good for breaking windows....ask any car thief

Or just a bit of broken porcelain from a spark plug will do it... Smash a spark plug and get a small piece of the porcelain and throw it at the window, will go right through it.

Or just a bit of broken porcelain from a spark plug will do it... Smash a spark plug and get a small piece of the porcelain and throw it at the window, will go right through it.

How many times you done it Troy ?? :unsure: