Sign in to follow this  
Docile

Spray on chrome

been perusing around the interwebs on why the hell it is expensive to get bumpers rechromed which i found the price FAIR for what they need to do. a lot of work goes into it and came across this

Visit My Website

the cool stuff starts at around 4:45.

dont think we can get it yet here :(

basically what you need is a base coat. the solutions and then clear coat it

Edited by Docile

Is it really that bad? I had some stuff done at Otahuhu Electroplaters a few years ago, wasn't bad at all.

I dodn't watch the whole video but there are people in NZ ( and here in Auckland) that do a similar thing called Spectra-Chrome. It is a spray on chrome as well and can be done in a variety of colours.

oh is there? its basically the same product but the methodology is different. who does it in auckland?

There were a few people in NZ trying (emphasis on trying) to do this with VERY mixed results.

It is VERY expensive to set up to do this and the amount of work you have to do to recoup costs is HUGE.

Last time i looked into it it was $4000 USD just for the equipment and a few gallons of product, and as can be seen in assorted videos the wastage is horrific.

The originators.

http://www.fantachrome.com.au/index2.html

The copy cats.

http://www.alsacorp.com/

And the 3rd rate copy cats.

http://dna-paints.com/

My 2c is i wouldn't bother with ANY spray on chrome products, unless you're keeping what ever you've had done in the house. You'll find none of those spray on chrome products will be guaranteed in NZ with our UV conditions.

My 2c is i wouldn't bother with ANY spray on chrome products, unless you're keeping what ever you've had done in the house. You'll find none of those spray on chrome products will be guaranteed in NZ with our UV conditions.

I know you are suitably qualified to be commenting but John at Wheel Repair services has had a stand of wheels outside every day for the past 2 years and they still look as good as new. :)

has had a stand of wheels outside every day for the past 2 years

There's the reason right there Johno, on a car used regularly it will be a different story mate.

yeah durability have crossed my mind as well. i.e. front bumper on a daily driver. it wont be as durable as a proper electroplated chrome finish, but if there is a finish durability guarantee for it then it could be worth it.

although i would think that it would be suitable for those tiny chrome bits inside the car.

Edited by Docile

There's the reason right there Johno, on a car used regularly it will be a different story mate.

I see your point but to be fair the stand is outside on a main road day after day. The finish must be reasonably durable if it has lasted this long and still looks good. They have still been subjected to Auckland's Fabulous weather for the past 2 years or so.

Edited by zenetti