Sign in to follow this  
NZLSAF

LOC/Line out converter, where to buy.

Hi all,

Im sure this has been covered several times so a redirect would be appreciated.

I have an e39 1999 non DSP and i am looking at putting in my JBL 6 chanel amp, and a sub to boot.

Questions,

1. Where to buy a Line out converter, do these come in set channels, if so where can i buy a 6 channel one.

2. If i can tap into the standard loom, which wires do i tap, which are best to use if i want to utilise the 6 channel and a sub. (i used to run 4x speakers and 2x bridged to sub).

3. Do i need to sacrafice a speaker output to use an amp?

4. if i want to amplify speakers will i be jeprodizing using all the current speakers, ie can i then just buy components for the front and rears, and put the components in the doors, and split the rear components between the parcel tray and rear doors, is any of this necessary or will standard speakers cope.

Id really appreciate any help im looking to install sub, custom sub box, amp'd speakers, and IPOD install in the next few months so if you have done this and like beer i am more thna happy to supply a box or two for some help in setting it all up :).

1. Jaycar, ask for a speaker level converter. About $30 iirc

2. Check for the factory amplifier in the boot, left hand side. All ten or so speaker outputs are there to tap into. whatever speakers you tap into just make sure they are getting all frequencies from the factory amp (possibly the rear shelf speakers).

3. No, you are only tapping off the speaker feed. Whatever speakers are tapped into will not lose any power

4. Its up to you what speakers you want re-amped. Im not sure what power levels the factory amp produces but imagine it wouldnt be as powerful as your aftermarket amp. If you want to amplify the speakers it is easy because if you install the amp in the boot all the speakers are there too from the factory amp.

Would also recommend the dice unit for your ipod. www.gadgets4u.co.nz

1, The factory speakers at either rated at 20 or 40 rms depending on model. I think the mid bass drivers can be replaced with 5.25 speakers. Depending on how much volume you like will be the factor in if they factory ones need replacing. You JBL would more than likely be capable of frying the factory speakers if you where to turn it up.

2, Line level conversion will work however , you'll loose some calirity by having two amplifiers in line. Jaycar is one place where you can get these. If your car has the sperate factory amp then the connection between the head unit and the AMP runs balanced audio. If your JBL supports balanced audio inputs you are in luck as you can take a cleaner noise few feed and bypass your fatcory amp.

Jaycar also sell unblanced audio to RCA devices. These come in two channel mode only so two devices are needed. I haven't used these but did consider these instead of modifying the factory unit.

Another option which I'm going to do is modify the factory unit and add unblanvced RCA output and bypass the balanced audio OPamps on the circuit board (in my case the factory tuner / pre-amp in the boot)

3, A few people can advise on ipod intergation devices that will use your factory head unit & steering wheel controls in lieu of a facotry CD changer.Dice is one brand that make devices to work with BMW sytems

4 , You'll only need to feed four channels into you amp (front and rear) e.g. no need to run a sub feed. You amp will do that.

I have installed an alpine 250w rms amp running a 12" in to the boot of mine. I used a line level converter I got from Jay car for $20, and tapped in to the rear left shelf speaker. I now run a dice silverline duo, very happy with the results.